AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very simple and kinda stupid question. I'm thinking of upgrading my Dish Network programming to HD and I noticed that the dual tuner HD DVRs have two satellite inputs which I presume is for the dual tuners. My question is - does this mean that for each DVR, they would have to run ANOTHER coax cable from the switch on the roof to the DVR - for a total of two wires going into the DVR from the switch? The real question I guess is - does that mean they have to drill another hole in the wall to accomodate the additional coax from the switch? Or is this something they could do something inside the house?

I don't relish another hole being drilled in my house, and in this case - two new holes for the two DVRs I would require for each of my HD sets.

Thanks!

Edit: I should mention that right now, I have the old single tuner 301s, which only requires one wire from the satellite.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
THis depends on what kind of LNB / switch you get. If you also upgrade to the DishProPlus LNBs / switches (DPP44 maybe ?) - you could still use 1 cable to each receiver, and they use a DishProPlus Seperator to goto each Sat input on the dual tuner receiver. Works pretty slick

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the replies. I wasn't sure and I guess I haven't been keeping up since I've had these old SD receivers for like 8 years or so and have finally decided to move on. I don't like uncessary holes in my walls.
I have them scheduled to come by next week so I hope they'll see the current setup and arrange for the single cable way.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper /forum/post/14319729

THis depends on what kind of LNB / switch you get. If you also upgrade to the DishProPlus LNBs / switches (DPP44 maybe ?) - you could still use 1 cable to each receiver, and they use a DishProPlus Seperator to goto each Sat input on the dual tuner receiver. Works pretty slick

Scooper, it looks like they did what you mentioned. He changed the dual LNB on the dish and then put something that looks like a splitter right next to each receiver (each one being a 722). Interesting - I have a Dish500 which is pointed at only 110 and 119. I also have a separate dish pointing to 61.5 for international programming. I thought I needed one of those elliptical dishes to replace the Dish500 in order to receive DishHD, but I guess not. I think I read that a lot of the DishHD comes from the 61.5.

Now the next thing to bug me is that I received a postcard from Dish Network telling me that I needed to have an antenna upgrade to continue receiving my international channels and even though the CSR on the phone added the comment to the work order, the person couldn't do it then (I was told by the CSR that they might not be able to do it at the same visit). I don't know what kind of upgrade the postcard was talking about, but the CSR said something about repositioning the dish. Anyway, I guess I'll need to have someone come out again. Arrgh!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts