AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When watching a DVD (no BD), I get the letter box on the top and bottom, and the bars on each side of the picture as well. I do have a widescreen TV. What setting am I missing? Games and BDs play fine... Thanks.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Anamorphic is beyond TV's widescreen ratio. The only way not to get black bars is through Constant Image Height. Look around the forums.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shook2323 /forum/post/0

Ok, thought that was it, but hoping I was wrong.

Upconverting has nothing to do with black bars. Black bars are a consequence of films being shot in different aspect ratios. Has nothing to do with resolution or upconverting.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Not all DVDs (SD DVD) are build for wide screen TVs..... some devices have the ability to lock the non widescreen DVDs at 4:3 ratio (older non-widescreen TVs). You can change this with the settings on your TV but it will look terrible, so dont.

Many (especially newer) DVDs are build for widescreen TVs..... if its not though most newer devices will output it at the old standard 4:3.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.