AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Even if you subscribe to HD from Dish or DirecTV you get SD (standard def) channels too- everything isn't in HD.

You should have no trouble recording the SD channels via the S-Video or composite video jacks on a DVD recorder, the hard drive is not an issue. I have lotsa disks burned from an old Dish DVR as well as a current DirecTivo box.

This same DVD recorder could record HD content if the receiver downconverts it before output - but then of course it wouldn't be HD anymore.

A DVD recorder that will record in HD is kind of up in the air right now - they needs recordable discs with higher density - the standard 4.7GB single-layer recordables just would not be enough capacity. I think in a year or so we may see some kind of new recorder/disc technology that will accomplish it. Of course, those will be very expensive to start with, and there will be the concerns by the broadcasters and copyright holders of the programming. I'd expect to see any HD recording gear to probably have some kind of DRM (Digital Rights Management) baggage.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think i get it now....so you mean i can record any channel or show provided it's downconverted by the receiver via the s-video or composite outputs?

that's my dilemma...i wanna get HD but i record shows often for later viewing and since there's no HD-PVR's yet im in a quandry....i have a samsung DLP and was going for a regular PVR and i thought it is such a waste if i didnt get HD.....

i thought HD channels cant be downconverted hence cant be recorded with those DVD recorders....

thanks for clearing my thoughts....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zeicht
i think i get it now....so you mean i can record any channel or show provided it's downconverted by the receiver via the s-video or composite outputs?
Yes.

Quote:
that's my dilemma...i wanna get HD but i record shows often for later viewing and since there's no HD-PVR's yet im in a quandry....
Zenith has a recorder for OTA (over-the-air) HD, DishNetwork has their model 921 integrated HD receiver/HD recorder (reccently announced, short supply) and the DirecTV recorder similar to the Dish 921 (except it's Tivo based :) ) will be available soon. Both the Dish and the DirecTV units will record OTA (over-the-air) digital signals as well as the satellite SD and HD programming. Neither of these units will record analog OTA signals.

Quote:
i thought HD channels cant be downconverted hence cant be recorded with those DVD recorders....
Not so... if the HD recevier features downconversion, then a currently-available DVD recorder (or VCR, for that matter) can record it, but at obviously reduced quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.