AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much greater picture quality can I expect from viewing a DVD or HDTV via a DVI-equipped STB or DVD player on, say a 2003 model DVI-equipped RPTV, versus the picture quality via component connections? It's not as significant as VHS vs. DVD is it? What about DVD vs. HDTV?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Don't quite understand the DVD via DVI but viewing HD via DVI connections as compared to Component Video connections should render basically the same quality picture. The signal is still going to be compressed (MPEG2) coming from the provider. With Component Video, the signal is decompressed, broken into its three components, converted to analog and transmitted to the TV. With DVI, the signal is decompressed and transmitted to the TV digitally. I guess theoretically the DVI could be superior but if the digital to analog conversion is done correctly, I can't see where you would perceive any difference. Of course, if the component output is reduced to 480i (p) by the provider, all bets are off.

I'd be interested in others commenting on this.

Tom

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
A digital to analog conversion needs to take place either in the STB or in the set, if the D to A converters are of equal quality, it doesn't matter where it is done.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Specially in case of an RPTV. Now if we were talking about a DMD, LCOS or DLP type display device (FP or rear projection), dvi could be better, although still not significantly.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
In some sets (and many plasmas) DVI is the only way to address the display in native rate, i.e., each pixel addressable. It works great for me & HTPC (for scaled DVD), but the incremental improvements are more related to rative rate than the connector (although no picture adjustments are required).

Tim

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Actually, virtually no plasmas allow for native ratio pixel-by-pixel addressing via DVI. The NEC and Fujitsus with DVI do not allow this, nor does the Panasonic. Only the Pioneer does. Some of the others can with a multi-thousand-dollar Leeza added, but still...

I can state categorically that the difference in image quality on my 17" TFT-LCD computer monitor is night and day. The DVI obliterates the VGA. I have no idea how this translates to home theater apps, but I suspect that one of the main advantages of DVI will be that the all-digital connection provides a crisper, clearer picture.

Mark

·
Registered
221 Posts
I believe the reason your LCD shows much crisper text on an LCD has less to do with dvi and more to do with the cleartext or clearfont trick employed by Apple and Microsoft. I think that pixels on an LCD displays are made up of 3 (rgb) pixels, which are addressable separately but only using dvi and some new graphics cards and drivers. The net effect is a threefold increase in horizontal resolution giving the driver threetimes more space to create the anti-aliasing effect for text fonts. This indeed looks rather good.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Nope, ahmed. Same LCD on same Dell PC with same settings. On VGA --> looks great. On DVI --> looks stunning.

Mark

·
Registered
827 Posts
It would stand to reason that eliminating cable noise and impedance mismatches utilizing SDI would show increased performance. Especially if input filtering on the VGA somehow smoothed the edges out a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.