AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm still pathetic and use a legacy VCR to record programs. I'm starting to decide whether I should upgrade to DVR or not, but the thought of having to pay monthly service just to record programs annoys me, which is why I never bought it.

So, my question is: do ALL DVRs require you to pay a monthly service fee to record TV programs? Are there any DVRs are out there that work just like VCRs, where you can record anything for free?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Dish DTVPal for OTA, and Tivos with lifetime subs for cable have no monthly fee. Apart from any trouble your provider might give you with Cablecards. There's also computer-based solutions, but if your goal is something as relatively simple as a VCR, then that's certainly not what you want to think about.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
No modern, standalone DVR requires fees. Fees are just an option to make an expensive product/service available at a lower price.

The DTVPal DVR (antenna only) is $250 without fees.

The TivoHD (cable or antenna) is $250 with fees or $575-$650 without fees.

The Moxi (cable only) is $799 without fees.

All of the above can record two different HD channels simultaneously, while you watch a third, previously recorded HD program.

See the threads in my signature for more information, including screenshots and videos.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
If you're just wanting to replace your VCR with something similar you could also look at something like this Magnaovox 2160 DVDR w/HDD . Technically it's a DVR since it has a 160GB HDD but it also includes a DVD burner although both only record in SD. It also only uses manual event timers like your VCR, the other options mentioned use some type electronic programming guide.

I think currently it's available refurbished from J&R online for $159 making it the cheapest of options mentioned. It does have a digital OTA and clear QAM tuner.

If you're OK with the cost of the Tivo HD w/lifetime it's really your best option IMO, I don't use my DVDRs nearly as often since getting the Tivo
If you have or plan on only having a SDTV the Maggy may be a decent alternative though.

Edit, I see your sig. lists BR movies you have so you probably have a HDTV in which case you may want to switch over to HD recording, get the Tivo w/lifetime and you'll never have a monthly fee.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv /forum/post/16930427

No modern, standalone DVR requires fees. Fees are just an option to make an expensive product/service available at a lower price.

Are you sure? I've heard that when you buy a standalone DVR, you need to pay a monthly service fee in order for it to record. I could be wrong, but that's what people told me.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle /forum/post/16930664

Are you sure? I've heard that when you buy a standalone DVR, you need to pay a monthly service fee in order for it to record. I could be wrong, but that's what people told me.

Yes. Your friend was misinformed.

Every DVR rented by the cable company has monthly fees. But the DTVPal DVR and Moxi have no fees. TiVo gives you the option of buying the box with or without fees.

In TiVo's case, most customers choose to pay $250 with yearly fees rather than $580-$650 without fees. With Moxi and TiVo, you still pay for the software and guide data; you just pay for it upfront with a higher price, rather than with recurring fees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts