AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a cheaper CRT projector, and have seen several listings on ebay from time to time by a seller called CZAR8. Does any one here have any experience with this seller, and are his feedback quotes to be trusted? If you would rather keep your feedback private, please PM me instead of posting on the forum. Thanks so very much for your help.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, I just wrote a big reply and it didn't post :confused:

But anyway, I am familiar with Czar8 (Andrew, I think was his name). He works for a (family owned?) business in Baltimore that deals in surplus business eqiupment of all kinds. Here's my take:

1) If you want to ask questions, Call him -- Don't use email. I found him to be busy, but honest.

2) You are buying surplus (essentially untested) equipment. It may work well or it may need a lot of work.

3) If you are close enough to visit his office, make an appointment and bring tools -- he lets you test and inspect things (I was surprised just how patient he was as I was looking over the pjs). Oh, and the neighborhood isn't great, make sure you have nothing of value in your car when you visit.

4) It's a big warehouse with all kinds of surplus equipment. Projectors are a very small portion of his business. When you get into the warehouse have a look around, he had a bunch of pjs that weren't on ebay when I visited, all of the major brands: Sony, Barco, Nec, Ehome. If you know what you are doing and perform your own inspection you could get a great deal. If you don't know what you are doing, you could be sending your new pj in for repairs once you get it home.

5) Be very very careful about buying remotely. If you can't visit and inspect the projector, I would probably look elsewhere. He knows very little about pjs and though I don't think he would lie, he could easily miss major problems with the pjs he sells. Also I have heard that his shipping is expensive.

If you have specific questions, let me know.

shoot

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've done business with Czar8 (aka Andrew), and can verify everything shoot mentioned. Two things that should be emphasized: Try to visit and inspect if at all possible and, DEFINITELY do not leave anything of value in your car when visiting that warehouse!

Of all the CRT PJ's I've looked at there, one or more tubes always have a certain amount of noticeable burn....many were quite bad. But, he is honest and won't try to hide anything. However, his prices are either at or a bit above fair market value.....so don't plan on getting a screaming deal.

- Chris

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I have bought from Andrew too, and concur with the above respondents. He is an honest seller,but his pj's are usually pretty beat and he gets pretty much top dollar for them considering their condition. Arrange your own shipping if possible, I have done that and its approximately 60% less than his freight charges.

I would assume cash in hand may lead to better prices but can't say for sure as I've only bought remotely.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
if you want a good pj get ahold of curt he backs his machines for life with parts and service , he might be a little more exspensive than czar 8 but with everything in life you get what you pay for, and to boot curts a nice guy , with a outstanding reputation on the forum........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.