AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the small one hooked up now for my directv service. If i can get that one in fine will I be able to get the other sattalite in fine? Does it point in about the same direction to get both of them? I don't want to buy the new dish and equipment for HD only to find I can't get it in.

Thanks!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Savage,

Does your dish have 2 dual LNBs? If so, you can pick up the 119 degree sat almost automatically if you follow the installation instruction. The two birds are about 18 degrees azimuth apart above the equator.

Will

------------------

I Want My Sports In HDTV

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just have the regular RCA 18" dish. It is dual lnb but I dont think you can get to satalites with that can you? IF not then what dish do i need and what will i need to put it in place of my current 18" dish?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Savage,

In order to receive both sats, you need either two regular dishes (you can use your current dish as one), or one new oval dish (I think this is what most people use).

To test if you can get the signal for the 119 sat. you can re-point your 18" dish to it. There are web sites available that will give you the coordinates. Make a mark on the dish support before you move it so you can reset the dish to the original location.

Note: If you decide to go with the oval dish, your signal strength may be a little less than what you get during the test described above. The oval dish can receive two sats at the same time, but it does give up some strength during to do so. FYI: a signal strength in the 50 - 60's for the 119 sat is normal and works fine.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Savageone79:
I just have the regular RCA 18" dish. It is dual lnb but I dont think you can get to satalites with that can you? IF not then what dish do i need and what will i need to put it in place of my current 18" dish?
You can't pick up the 101 and 119 bird with your dish at the same time. You'll need the elliptical dish that has provision for three LNBs.

If all you want is to pick up the 119 bird, you can just simply aim your dish to that satellite.

------------------

I Want My Sports In HDTV

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i need to keep my core Direct programming so i guess ill have to go with an eliptical dish. I guess my questoin is where the new dish will point. Will it be in about the same direction my current 18" dish is pointed at for core programming? IF so then it will be no problem but if it is signifacantly off from that directoin it might be a problem.

Also I already have a 4 reciever switch in between my current dish and the inside of my house. Will this cuase problems at all with the HD content or will it get split like all the rest of the content?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
The Eliptical dish points a few degrees to the right of where your 18" dish points. Go to the Dish Pointing section of DBSforums and find the azimuth and elevation of the 119 sat for your location.

The eliptical dishes come with a 4x4 switch. You may not need the switch you have.

-Robert

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
So will I see a picture difference if I go with two seperate dishes compared to the eliptical dish?

------------------

Juan Ruiz

·
Registered
3,433 Posts

Quote:
So will I see a picture difference if I go with two seperate dishes compared to the eliptical dish?
No. With satellite, either you get the picture or you don't. There is no in-between. You will guard against rain fade by being able to fine tune each dish.

-Robert

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is the 4x4 switch for with the elipcitcal dish? Also will i just output 2 feeds like on my current dual lnb Directv dish? I have all the wires tucked away and the switch permanatly installed so i would hate to have to change anything other then replacing the dish. I was hoping all i would have to do is swithc out the dish and hook back in the two cable i have going to mycurrent one? Will this be fine?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Savageone79,

The way the 4x4 switch works I believe is when you select a channel that requires the 119 bird the receive sends a signal to the switch to select the dish pointed at the 119 bird. When you select a channel that requires the 101 bird the receiver tells the switch to select the 101 bird. I don't understand why you had a switch for a dual output LNB. Usually for standard DTC100 installation you run a single RG-6 cable from the DTC100 sat input to one of the 4 outputs on the 4X4 Switch. Then on the switch there are 4 inputs 2 inputs go to 1 dual output LNB two more cables go to another dual output LNB they are usually mounted to the elliptical dish that is skewed so it can receive from both 101 and 119. In your case you can install a second dual output round dish pointed at the other sat but IMO you will still need the 4X4 switch and a total of 4 RG6 cables from the switch to the 2 dishes. This is the way I understand it to work but I could be wrong.

------------------

I love the smell of ozone in the morning…

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont think you understand my questoin. I have 3 receivers. My 18" directv dish has 2 lnb's. Therefore i had to go buy one of those $99 swithc things that you take the two inputs and it gives you 4 outputs. My question is will this switch work fine with the eliptical dish? Does the elipictial dish have 2lnb output like my 18" one does for 2 recievers to be hooked up into it. If so will the feed into the switch work find and be split into four like it currently does. I already have all wires run and the switch screwed down so it would be a pain in the ass if i had to change it all around. I am hoping i can just stick the elipitcal dish exactly where i have the 18" one now and just rehook the cables back into it like i have it done now on my 18" dish.

·
Registered
292 Posts
As mentioned - you will get a new multiswitch with the 18x24 dish - as you know, the dual lnb for sat 101 has two wires - the dual lnb for sat 119 has two wires - all 4 of these wires go into the the new 4 input multiswitch then 4 lines out to the receivers - your old multiswitch only had 2 lines in - if you did not use the new multiswitch your receivers would not be able to receive the channels from both of the satellites. Your current wiring TO the receivers is OK.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Gallant wrote:

In order to receive both sats, you need either two regular dishes (you can use your current dish as one), or one new oval dish (I think this is what most people use).

To test if you can get the signal for the 119 sat. you can re-point your 18" dish to it. There are web sites available that will give you the coordinates. Make a mark on the dish support before you move it so you can reset the dish to the original location.

Note: If you decide to go with the oval dish, your signal strength may be a little less than what you get during the test described above. The oval dish can receive two sats at the same time, but it does give up some strength during to do so. FYI: a signal strength in the 50 - 60's for the 119 sat is normal and works fine.

SO, (and here is my situation), I have a new dual LNB 18" round dish and RCA Ultimate TV-Direct TV-PVR Receiver run through a 4 put multiswitch. NEW dual LNB COAX was run from the dish to the receiver. I also have the OLD 18" round dish still installed outside that used to go to a Sony SATB2 Direct TV receiver. The COAX cable is still in place.

Heres my QUESTION:

From what I understand, I can repoint my OLD dish at the HDTV satellite and hook up a NEW HDTV receiver to complete my installation. If I can do this I save money on purchasing an elliptical dish.

With both the RCA PVR and HDTV receivers I have two different sources: the PVR runs to an S-Video connection on the back of my Tosh 57H81; the new HDTV receiver would run to component inputs on same.... so switching to a different video source on the monitor is always required.

Does all of this make sense to you?

Thanks for your help.

Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.