AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Initially, I bought the Energy Take Classics and a $300 Yamaha receiver. The reason I bought the Classics were because they were on sale for $400 in Canada, which I thought were a nice deal. Eventually, I returned the receiver and bought a Denon AVR-789. I know I didn't need it for the speakers, but the actual capabilities of the receiver were what made me upgrade. Later down the road, I found the AVR-889 for $100 cheaper, so I went to get the exchange. However, they were out, but I was offered the AVR-989 for $100 more. I bought that since $100 for two models up was nice, even though it was far more than the Classics needed. On boxing day, I picked up the C-500's for $300. I knew I needed the center to match them, but I just found a C-C100 on eBay, which I ordered for $200. So I have a few questions.

1) Would the 989 work fine with the C-500 and C-C100? I figure they'd work no problem, but I wouldn't mind double checking.

2) How would a setup of C-500 fronts, C-C100 center, the ESW-8 and two rears from the Classics work? I've wondered if satellites would be too weak for the towers, but never found the answer.

3) I have a rather small room, which is likely 10-12 feet from the front to back, so I'm wondering if this would play any part in how things would work out. The Classics worked pretty well for movies, but I wanted something a bit better for music.

4) Can you put a center like the C-C100 under a 32" LCD? My room is pretty tight for putting the center, and I know the C-C100 is rather large compared to the Classic's center. If I could put the C-C100 under the LCD, then everything should work out fine.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I don't see a problem with any of the things you are considering.

The satellites will work fine with your new towers. Just use the auto-setup feature for your speakers and it will balance and EQ the sound properly for your mixed speakers. The Denon 989 will be also fine, it's a nice unit and should sound very good

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks for the reply.

Just for clarification, when I say putting under the LCD, I really do mean it. Not under on a shelf, but actually under the LCD's stand. The main issue is the weight, even though a 32" LCD would not weigh much.

Have another question - does it matter much if the rears in a 5.1 are beside or behind you? Given how small how room is, it would be ideal to have the speakers beside, but if this is not ideal, I may have to make some room behind.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, so my C-C100 has arrived. I just wanted to make sure that it is safe to put the TV directly on top of it? A 32" seems like it shouldn't cause any problems given the size of the center.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2taku /forum/post/15584999

OK, so my C-C100 has arrived. I just wanted to make sure that it is safe to put the TV directly on top of it? A 32" seems like it shouldn't cause any problems given the size of the center.

Thanks.

Can you put the speaker in front of the tv?

I don't think I would want to put any tv on any center speaker, they are not built to have much wieght put on them.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I don't think that center speaker is made to handle being put UNDER a TV, but at the same time I don't think it will hurt it either to have it under a 32" TV which is not all that heavy.

So if it were me, I don't think I would stop myself from trying it. Just be aware that it is possible it might start to deform a bit, and you should check on it every once in a while to see if it's ok

1 - 6 of 6 Posts