AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,


Here is a GoogleSketchup image of my proposed screen wall. It employs 3 way masking: using the Carada Masquerade system for vertical masking and a roller panel system for the side masking.


The blue portions above and below the screen represent where I'll be employing acoustic absorption material. But in reality those blue portions in the image will be black too. I want the whole screen wall covered in light absorptive black material (or at least, dark material of some color).

(ETA: OMG, I'm so used to hanging out on the Blu Ray forum I can no longer spell "blue" properly and had to spell-fix this post!)


I believe a lot of people here have employed fabrics to cover walls and structures in their home theater and I'm wondering:


1. What type of material is advised for this purpose?


2. How is it implemented? Do we build the screen wall structure out of wood and then the material goes on...how?


Many thanks!



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness /forum/post/15487780


I believe a lot of people here have employed fabrics to cover walls and structures in their home theater and I'm wondering:


1. What type of material is advised for this purpose?

I would use carpet for the portion below the screen. If you use a dark color for your floor you can continue it up and onto that section. If you go with a lighter color take a look at a darker color for that portion only.


For the top you should take a look at GOM (Guilford of Maine) available from several vendors. There are many colors to choose from including black.

Quote:
2. How is it implemented? Do we build the screen wall structure out of wood and then the material goes on...how?

Most walls are constructed out of normal 2x4 construction. You then paint the wood black to help with light control before covering any areas. Mount your screen and masking in place and cover the remaining areas. Some choose to attach the fabric directly to the wall while others prefer to build panels that attach to the wall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.


I can't do the bottom in my carpet, so the entire structure will be covered in the same fabric. Looks like GOM is the popular go-to fabric....

although I'm having trouble navigating their web site and narrowing down samples to view, even after registering..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,836 Posts
I used black velvet on my screen wall above and below my screen. The black velvet is very light absorbent and matches my screen frame, so that it all blends together for a clean finish.

Quote:
Looks like GOM is the popular go-to fabric....

although I'm having trouble navigating their web site and narrowing down samples to view, even after registering..

The Guliford of Maine website is a good source for GOM samples, but if you're having a hard time getting samples from them, then Fabricmate.com is also a good source for samples.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top