Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read over the forum rules and I was confused by a couple of things:

"Flaming" of other participants is strictly forbidden. This includes posts against manufactures."

Does that mean I wouldn't be allowed to say something like "I've already been through 3 xxx projectors and they were all lemons. From my experience xxx projectors are totally unreliable." ?

Also there's a rule "Do not post any sales oriented links what so ever. If it's a company that sells a product that’s a sales link."

I assume that means I wouldn't be allowed to post a link to a website that sells projectors in japan, for example, but does that also prevent me from posting a link to a website like ebay where the business just facilitates sales between private individuals?

I'm at least allowed to mention any website as long as I don't give a link - right? But am I allowed to mention specific products on the website and how much they're selling for? I mean in place of the link could I tell readers to search for such and such a product on such and such a site because they're selling it for X dollars?

I'm genuinely confused so I figured I'd ask before I got myself in trouble - because to be honest there's a link I really wanted to post :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Here's my understanding garnered the hard way (hopefully a moderator will clear this up)...

I believe "flaming" is an unjustified or indiscreet attack, especially using unecessarily strong language. The wording in your example is simply an opinion based on personal experience. Now, if you said something like, "XXX projectors SUCK! They're horrible! They're built in a swamp by monkeys!" - that would be flaming.

Anything that could be one step from a sale is forbidden. If you post a link to a website that sells...if you mention that you sell...if you post a phone # to a company that sells... all bad.

Mentioning a dealer's name seems to be ok in some situations. Mentioning approximate prices seems to be ok. Mentioning a manufacturer's name or website seems to be ok (unless they sell direct on that website). Mentioning a price and company where you got seems to be a gray area... I think that one would be up to a moderator's discretion.

Just keep in mind that this is a private forum run by an A-V company. When you want to post something, pretend it's YOUR company and YOUR site. Would you want the info you're about to post to be on the website YOU provide free-of-charge? (Plus, since it's private, they can delete anything they wish to. Whether it violates the rules or not.)

Hope this helped some.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.