AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to build my first HTPC, and I also plan on playing the occasional game on it. It will be hooked up to my Pioneer KRP-500M plasma, which has a native 1080p resolution. I have a feeling that when I do play games, I won't be able to play them at 1920x1080, but I'm not sure how it will work playing at lower resolutions. Will the TV automatically upscale, will it look horrible if it's not displaying a 1080p image? If I could play a games at 1280x720 and have it look like any other 720p content then I'd be fine with that. I just don't know if it works differently with PCs.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The PC will output whatever you tell it to output, and the TV will do whatever you tell it to do with the image. If the TV is native 1080p, and you send it a 1080p picture, then why would you expect there to be a problem? The only thing you might run into is overscan, which many TVs can compensate for, and all decent video cards can compensate for.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not worried about sending a 1080p signal to the TV. What I'm curious about is what if I send a different resolution signal to the TV, such as 720p or something inbetween 720p and 1080p. I'm not sure how the TV will handle that.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
That's entirely up to your TV. Most TVs have several stretch/zoom options. If you send a "standard" resolution, then the TV should have no trouble with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
candre23 is correct. Just make sure to set your PC resolution to the same ratio as 1920 × 1080 (16:9). For example: 1280 × 720, 1024 × 576. As long as the ratio is the same, you won't have distortion on the TV image.

Out of curiousity are you choosing not to run the PC at 1920 × 1080 to increase framerate?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
fnd,

You can play a game at a lower resolution than your desktop 1920x1080 if your computer can't handle the game at 1920x1080. You have 2 options you can now do on your TV. You can tell it to 'zoom' the image to fit the screen or tell it to 'just scan', which would leave black bars on all sides of the game image that is below the 1920x1080.

Most games won't be a problem for you if you zoom them, since any text in the game is large and not often. But online games or RPGs or a text intensive game that has small text, you'll want to stay pixel for pixel, even if that means leaving black bars all around the game, as your text will be more clear and not blurry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts