AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Your specs are more than enough but what matters here is can your power supply handle the load and will it fit inside the case.

Need more info.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You will need a pci express slot as well.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
unless he's on XP or Vista x32 that is.

You will probably need a new power supply, though. The one in there looks cheap, and the cheap ones don't cleanly put out what they claim they do.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
"unless he's on XP or Vista x32 that is."

Buying a 512MB video card, that will still leave about 3.3GB addressable of 4GB on a 32-bit system. 3.3GB is a vast improvement over 2GB in the Vista Home Premium that his machine is running.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im looking to buy a new power supply for the new video card, any suggestions on which one i should get for my cpu? thanks in advance

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i purchased the 8800gt already, all i need now is some advice on a new power supply. any advice is appreciated

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I don't think you need a new power supply. Have you actually tried it yet.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I sit here looking at the LCD display on my machine running Vista Ultimate 64 bit....It basically never goes over 2GB of RAM used even though I have 4 gigs in the machine. Also, I ran a 8800GT in a P4 Prescott power sucking machine...with a 250 power supply. Had no issues. It's likely that a new PS is unnecessary and 4GB will be marginally useful at best. See how things go before you spend more money.

-Trouble

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
"It basically never goes over 2GB of RAM used even though I have 4 gigs in the machine."

Actual used memory, my machine is sitting at 2.2GB at the moment. The rest is of course cached for other programs in anticipation of my opening of them, so I have a whole 28MB free. Those are of course pretty deceptive numbers in general. Having that extra 1.1GB over the 2.2 I am currently using means that I swap to disk a hell of a lot less than I would with only 2GB or even 2.5GB, or at least with 4GB it saves my disc swapping until after the new program I want to open is already up and running. 3.3GB on a 32-bit system or 4GB on 64-bit is significantly more responsive than 2GB.

In short, a "used memory" readout of any sort tells you jack-all about how much memory is actually used in daily operation. Pull out 2GB on your machine and try to tell me that it doesn't suddenly feel rather sluggish.

·
Registered
182 Posts
regarding the P/S, it ultimately comes down to, do you have the right plugs to hook up to your video card. IE: 12v rails are required for most med/high end cards as the video card requires more than just the power pulled from the actual PCI-E port itself.

EDIT: Not sure what I was thinking when describing the power plugs.. haven't built a machine in a while
Thanks Zupahwez0e

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just to avoid confusion...

A sata power plug looks like this .

A pci-e power cable looks like this .

they have almost the same wires going to the connector but the actual plug is different.

·
Registered
22 Posts
One other thing, no matter what, you should definitely get a MODULAR power supply its just neater that way. Ideally however, I would reccommend the power supply by koolance the one that is a stand alone liquid cooled 1200 watt monstrosity. I think that it would make less noise and power rather efficiently.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
"One other thing, no matter what, you should definitely get a MODULAR power supply its just neater that way. Ideally however, I would reccommend the power supply by koolance the one that is a stand alone liquid cooled 1200 watt monstrosity. I think that it would make less noise and power rather efficiently."

Everyone would be very well served to completely ignore this advice. Seriously. Every sentence. Whatever it says, do the opposite. This is like concentrated anti-advice. Sorry YoniX.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts