AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, can someone summarize what going from component to VGA will do for me. I am using a front projector (sony HS10) that supports HD (no 1080p).

What will I gain by moving to VGA? I think I read that I can upscale SD DVDs to HD, is this correct, and what else? (I have a sony upscaling dvd player already btw).

I am considering this for what it moght give me picture quality-wise and also it will free up a component input on my preamp/proc.

Thanks for any info!

EDIT: OH! I am asking first rather than just doing because I will have to buy several cables, and run several cables from my PJ to my Equipment rack - so it will cost some money and time.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I'm also on the fence of "upgrading" to a VGA connection.

I'm not sure about your projector, but I'm an owner of a Samsung LN-T LCD and at least for my set,another the advantage is that 1:1 pixel mapping is available only on HDMI and VGA, not component.

I'm not really sure overall the quality differences between VGA and component, and any feedback on forum members here will be very helpful

·
Registered
210 Posts
There's a ton of VGA threads guys lol.

1:1 pixel mapping (for sets like mine where I can't disable overscan in component), 1080p for HD DVDs for non Elite owners, and upconverting of DVD's are the good things. The bad...is up to you. Buy it from a place that accepts returns (i.e. Fry's Electronics) and see if you like it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I hated the VGA cables before the May update. I love them now. They fixed the washed out colors and black levels and the SDDVD upconversion is great on my TV (compared to the progressive scan DVD player I was using). Just buy them from somewhere like CC where you can return them if you don't like them. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFlyby /forum/post/0

I hated the VGA cables before the May update. I love them now. They fixed the washed out colors and black levels and the SDDVD upconversion is great on my TV (compared to the progressive scan DVD player I was using). Just buy them from somewhere like CC where you can return them if you don't like them. Hope this helps.

yep, just gotta try for yourself and return if you don't like. I tired them months ago and wasn't impressed...since the update I think it gives a better picture on my display. Nothing earth shattering, but the expanded setting once calibrated looks quite nice. sharp, great contrast..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.