AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some GOM that I am installing on some panels that I am making. The panels will be roughly 42"x55".

For the frame, I am just using some scrap (straight) wood for a depth of about 3/4".

Now I just got done stretching BOC onto my Screen Fame and what a tough job that was with a hand stapler! I pull it tight..my arms/hands hurt.

But as for the GOM, it seems to stretch with ease, but seems like it will not look nice if I dont stretch if evenly.

So I ask, how should I stretch the GOM around the panel frame to staple it on the backside? Do I stretch very hard, easy but consistant, or nearly no stretch (just avoid sagging)?

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Do a search on how to stretch a canvas over a french frame. It will show you the way to properly stretch the fabric. Also to hell with hand staplers when it comes to this. Do your hands and sanity a favor buy a compressor / stapler kit. Home Depot and Lowes have had a few cheap bundles as of late for as little as $150 for a smaller compressor and some guns.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I agree about a better gun. I used a cheap brad nailer to install baseboard in my master bedroom. After using the power gun with fuel cell for my basement, I'll never go back now.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you have access to a compresser,you can purchase a Porter Cable staple gun from amazon.com designed for stapling fabric...work's fantastic and only about $65.00.Also work's great for attaching insulation.JB

·
Registered
3,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie /forum/post/14262495

I agree about a better gun. I used a cheap brad nailer to install baseboard in my master bedroom. After using the power gun with fuel cell for my basement, I'll never go back now.

Yeah I too went from air guns to the gas nailer, stapler, and finisher. Dam good investment.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I assume Paslode rules in this area of finishers?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
There are several good brands out there. Paslode is definitely one of the better ones.

CJ

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Kellogg /forum/post/14262405

Also to hell with hand staplers when it comes to this. Do your hands and sanity a favor buy a compressor / stapler kit. Home Depot and Lowes have had a few cheap bundles as of late for as little as $150 for a smaller compressor and some guns.

Seriously. You'll thank yourself.

Frank

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
FYI - I bought a Porter Cable stapler a year ago before I started my theater. In hindsight, I wish I had purchased a 1/2" crown model rather than this one which only uses 1/4" crown staples.

As it turns out, my soffit is too shallow to allow me to use my stapler so I ended up buying a stapler at Harbor Freight that is not only smaller but it 1/2" crown staples. I know the stuff at HF are not great quality... I'm just hoping it will be good enough to get me through the project. They sell 2 models with one being labeled as a "contractor or commercial duty".... that's the one I got and it only cost $30.

I won't be ready to use it for a while but I couldn't find any other air powered stapler that would fit in my soffit so I'm hoping it works out.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Harbor Freight stuff is somewhat hit-or-miss, but in my mind, they could miss half the time and it's still a decent value, especially for "use for one project" type of tools.

"After a year, every Harbor Freight tool is a hammer." (Surely an overstatement, as I've got a lot of HF stuff that is doing just fine, but for something that you're going to use often over the years, I'd recommend a higher grade tool to start, instead of a HF cheapy and THEN a good one.)

For your project, you chose well...

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I definitely would have purchased a stapler (pnumatic or electric) but I am done as I only had my screen and 4 panels to do. Had I had more...I would have done it, but I am done now.

One thing I learned is leverage is your friend. So when I was stapling the frame, I had a piece of 3/4 inch wood as an extended surface so that my stapler base was flat and not angled. Then all I had to do was lean down into the stapler.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug /forum/post/14262193

I have some GOM that I am installing on some panels that I am making. The panels will be roughly 42"x55".

For the frame, I am just using some scrap (straight) wood for a depth of about 3/4".

Now I just got done stretching BOC onto my Screen Fame and what a tough job that was with a hand stapler! I pull it tight..my arms/hands hurt.

But as for the GOM, it seems to stretch with ease, but seems like it will not look nice if I dont stretch if evenly.

So I ask, how should I stretch the GOM around the panel frame to staple it on the backside? Do I stretch very hard, easy but consistant, or nearly no stretch (just avoid sagging)?

But I think we got off topic, my questions were about how much to pull on the GOM to stretch....

Now that I have done it, I can respond....Dont pull TOO tight. It has some stretch, and unless you have a design, there is no reason to pull super super tight. Just pull it consistantly and follow the recommend alternating pattern when stapling.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug /forum/post/14271849

But I think we got off topic, my questions were about how much to pull on the GOM to stretch....

Now that I have done it, I can respond....Dont pull TOO tight. It has some stretch, and unless you have a design, there is no reason to pull super super tight. Just pull it consistantly and follow the recommend alternating pattern when stapling.

It come with experience. I did over 70 fabric frames in my theater. the first 6 got redone after all the rest were done. Because I learned on the first several frames and by the time i figured out get the right tension and technique it took six frames.

I did smaller frames as i think it was easer to get a even look to the GOM fabric.

There are some details in my thread cover the finishing of my theater. But basically I would agree with the need for some kind of powered stapler. My air compressor and air tools were the best money i spent during the construction.

I did all my frames on a carpeted floor. I would staple one side then gently and evenly pull the other side. at the same time i would put pressure on the frame with my knee to hold the stretched fabric in place. Once it was tight but not too tight (as you do not want the pull waves and you do not want any sags, and you want it tight enough to look smooth) i would start to staple while still keeping the down pressure on the frame to hold the fabric in place.

Then do the same thing on the other two sides. Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts