AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about the limitations, if any on the graphics quality when using a PDA with PDAwin software. Is it the same as the Pronto Pro software (256 colors) or can you take advantage of the color options on a PDA like 16 bit or 32 bit images. I looked at some of the Pronto Pro ccfs and wasn't too impressed with some of the images. I was originally going to upgrade my Pronto 2000 to the Pro, but finding the $400-$600 a little hard to swallow knowing the new 7000 is coming, eventually. I love my Pronto, but the color bug bit me and after finding out about the PDA option, spending $250 or so on a pda and ir extender sounds like a much better option than the Pro. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
220 Posts
From the looks of this image which they have on their website (which I'm guessing is the best graphics that they could find):

http://www.pdawin.com/remotea.gif

It looks like you're limited to 256 colors. Just a guess - you may want to email them: [email protected]

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
damn, that's pretty good isn't it...

brickie

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
As far as I know it is 256. Pronto edit, that is used to make the CCFs used by PDA win, cannot use icons that are more then 256. You could also use Tonto to build your CCF and I think Stewart added a feature for icons >256 but I think it is only useable with Netremote.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replys, I figured that it would only support 256, but thought I'd ask. I saw netremote and it looks like a good alternative but I would only use it as a remote, so I need the IR capability. 256 is a huge improvement over 4 grey shades though!!

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
It was not meant as a recommendation of one or the other. I don't use either. And like you said different tools for different jobs. (one is meant for PC and the other for CE). I just mentioned it because I remember reading that Stewart added support for more colors for support for Netremote. I have no idea if PDAWin could support a more color CCF created in Tonto, or if the more color CCFs created in Tonto can only be used with Netremote (i.e. the CCF has other added features)

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:
damn, that's pretty good isn't it...

I would like to caution you guys a bit. Those screen shots usually look a lot better than in reality. E.g. if you are familiar with the Pronto emulator software, take a look at those outstanding pictures they produce on your computer screen and compare them to the actual physical Pronto screen.....

On the other hand with those high def. PDA screens these days the gap is getting smaller....

_____

Axel

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, can I assume that a Dell Axim running PDA Win's tv remote software with a TSU6000 ccf would look better than on the Pronto Pro itself?

·
Registered
92 Posts
A little caution on these PDA remotes. The IR dispersion is nowhere near that of a dedicated universal remote. This makes macros (a series of commands on one button) a real pain, even with th IR extenders.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by karlpoe
So, can I assume that a Dell Axim running PDA Win's tv remote software with a TSU6000 ccf would look better than on the Pronto Pro itself?
Torre posted a few samples a while back .

As in particular the second pic is slightly out of focus, I think in reality it looks a bit better.

___

Axel

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
the 6000 does not use an active matrix display like the PDA's so you could theoretically build a CCF that will look terrible on the Pronto but great on the PDA. That being said the 7000 due out at Christmas will be an active matrix display and so should be as good as any PDA

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Quote:
the 7000 due out at Christmas will be an active matrix display and so should be as good as any PDA
At 3X the price of a PDA solution, I'd say that it should be!!

I'm curious about cyberbod's comment, has anyone here actually using a PDA with extender setup had any problems with macro execution?

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Quote:
At 3X the price of a PDA solution, I'd say that it should be!!
1) I don't think it will be 3x

2) I said the display type will be the same, but the PCF format used by the 7000 is not limited to 256 colors, so the same icons will look the same but you should be able to create much better icons.

3) It will have other stuff to make it a better choice such as more hard buttons, newer features (such as transparent), better IR range

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.