AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to speed up my remotes abilities to more quickly respond to activity changes. One thing that appears to be a problem, an my not be if the software is intelligent enough (unlikely) has to do with excessive selecting of my TV and AV receiver's inputs when switching.

For me my TV is always on HDMI and the receiver also stays on one input for all video feeds.

Does anyone know a way to tell the harmony software to NOT select the input? I've thought about deleting all the inputs from the device except for the one used, but I think that may be a little problematic should the setup change where I later need other inputs.

I've looked through all the settings pages I can find and no where is there anything to say "never change the input settings" for this device.

·
Registered
722 Posts
You can fix it this way.

1) From the Activities tab click "Add Activity" (next)

2) On next page choose "No - manually add Activity to my setup" (next)

3) Choose "Utility" (next)

4) Choose "Generic Activity" (next)

5) On the next page add only the devices that will be used in this activity (next)

6) On the next page your first device will show up with a list of available inputs including "I don't need to set the input on my xxxx"

Check that one and hit (next)

Do the same for whichever other devices you want (next)

7) Save Activity

8) NOW here comes the pain in the neck part...you will have to manually assign every button within the activity (volume, channels, everything).

9) When you are done click on the activity settings and rename each activity

10) Delete your original activities

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, everything looks great except for that "PITA" step of assigning every button. =(

Have you done this yourself, and did you find it worth the work?

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Depending on the number of devices you already use and how many you can add, you could add the tv and the receiver again as an additional device. TV2 and AV2, but with these remove the additional inputs and leave the one HDMI input which you need.

There is still some work to do as you will now need to run the set up wizard again for each activity and have them use the new units vs the old. When you are done setting up the activity again then you can remove the unused device from the activity but allow it to stay as part of the overall device list. This way you shouldn't have to deal with learning every command and a change in the setup just requires running the wizard set up again to re add the other device with the necessary inputs.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've used the Generic Activity for several other reasons and it only takes about 3.5 minutes to assign all the buttons.

You could try Oman's way but I think it would still try to send the input command regardless of whether or not there were only one input available. The Harmony remote doesn't think logically, even though it's made by Logitech...
. It pretty much just does what it's told without thinking. Give it a shot and if it doesn't work you can fall back on the Generic Activity route.

·
Registered
387 Posts
in your original activity...

rerun the setup for this activity-----

when you get to the input selection select "source input is missing" -

Add "NONE" -

NEXT -

Pair it with NONE in the dropdown -

then simply select it in the next screen

·
Registered
479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D /forum/post/19523333

I'm looking to speed up my remotes abilities to more quickly respond to activity changes. One thing that appears to be a problem, an my not be if the software is intelligent enough (unlikely) has to do with excessive selecting of my TV and AV receiver's inputs when switching.

For me my TV is always on HDMI and the receiver also stays on one input for all video feeds.

Does anyone know a way to tell the harmony software to NOT select the input? I've thought about deleting all the inputs from the device except for the one used, but I think that may be a little problematic should the setup change where I later need other inputs.

I've looked through all the settings pages I can find and no where is there anything to say "never change the input settings" for this device.

If the TV and receiver stays on one input, then you can adjust the delay settings for these 2 devices to speed up the activities.

Go to Device, and select "Adjust the delays (speed settings)" and then reduce the delay time for the 4 types of delays there. For example, the "power on delay" is how long before the TV or the receiver is ready to accept commands (e.g. Input command), and "Input delay" is how long the device needs to be ready to switch one input to the next .... Make sure to copy down the original numbers so you can go back if you find things are not working.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again guys.

TJ7, I had tried to play around with that myself, I figured that would be a good way to go, however I think I was unable to ever select a "none" option. I'll check that again.

·
Registered
387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D /forum/post/19542047

Thanks again guys.

TJ7, I had tried to play around with that myself, I figured that would be a good way to go, however I think I was unable to ever select a "none" option. I'll check that again.

you actually need to "create" it.

type in the word "NONE" and then hit ADD.

when you go to the next page your "NONE" will be in the list but you have to pair it with the "none" button selection

·
Registered
479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ7 /forum/post/19542123

you actually need to "create" it.

type in the word "NONE" and then hit ADD.

when you go to the next page your "NONE" will be in the list but you have to pair it with the "none" button selection

This is a good way to do what the OP wants to do, since there is no input switching needed.

However, the drawback is that if the input selects for the TV and the receiver ever got out of wack (i.e. someone using the system had pressed a wrong button), Harmony "Help" function won't work (since it needs to know the correct inputs to straighten out the problem). So setting it to "None" serves the purpose very well, but also negates a great feature of the Harmony remote (for non-technical users, and even for techies).

·
Registered
387 Posts
I agree; it is a BIG drawback but you could always set up a soft button in each activity with the required input just in case it gets out of sync

·
Registered
479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ7 /forum/post/19543835

I agree; it is a BIG drawback but you could always set up a soft button in each activity with the required input just in case it gets out of sync

Sure! it's great that you can use the Harmony remote in a lot of different ways. And that should work fine.

In this case, I think what Jeff needs is only to speed up the activities. Given that the devices are always on the same inputs, I'd suggest that just reducing the power-on delays for the TV and the receiver would do that, and still keep the Help button working. It is quite a convenient feature whenever you forget to point the remote at the system, and got the system in a weird states, all you'd need to do is pressing Help and going through a few questions/answers (no need to even think about which buttons to push to get the system sync up again, or even relying on soft buttons).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts