AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Question about HD DVD players and Resolutions

490 Views 11 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  spinforu
I realize i may get lashed out at for this question but I am a newbie so to speak and want to know about these DVD Players that output 480p-720p-1080i. Are they any better then running a standard progressive scan DVD player through a Line doubler or line quadrupler? My projector isn't the top of the line (a 1271q) just incase that comes into play in the answers to my question.

I really need a low cost way right now to watch DVD's in the best quality I can with the 1271q and not break the bank at the moment.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Please help, someone out there must have some input on this subject. Pretty please. I don't mean to have such a dumb question.
Hello Bryan,

I have a NEC 9PG+, I can understand where you're coming from, though I've spent a fair amount of money in the past on DVD players and HTPC- still have one of the latter with a MyHD board.

Until Christmas time last year, I was using a Zenith DVB318 with a Key Digital transcoder to drive my NEC; that player was chosen because it has the Faroudja DCDi chipset for de-interlacing (I watch a lot of video sourced stuff). That player, IMO, is ONLY good for 1080i upscaled component; it has isuses with Y/C delays at 480P and 720P, and white crush over the DVI output. A later firmware upgrade reportedly fixed the DVI white crush, but disabled upscaling over component.

What I switched to last December was an Oppo Digital (imported thorugh Extremephono, the Momitsu importer) DVP971. This player uses the Mediatek main controller, with a Faroudja DCDi chip for de-interlacing on DVI output. On DVI, it upscales to 720P and 1080i. I use the 1080i output. The output from the player is run into a Dtronics DVI to RGBHV converter (it's DVI-D, not DVI-I, so there's no anlag signal for a simple dongle converter, like PC video cards come with). The DVP971 is functionally superior, in that it support pillar boxing for display of 4:3 material on a 16X9 display (which is how I have my 9PG+ setup), passes blacker than black over DVI, and doesnt have any black crush or white crush, and even has adjustable brightness and contrast, not that you should need to use those normally.

Because of the DCDi chip, it has excellent de-interlacing on source material which give a lot of DVD players artifacts - for example, Smallville seasons on DVD, or concert music video's. Macroblocking is a problem often cited for this chipset, though it's acknowledged to be "display dependent", which I suspect means that with a display that has to re-digitize the signal or converts the incoming to analog and back to digital (you'd be surprised how many digital projectors do stuff like this), you can get various artefacts. I've been quite pleased with the playback quality on my NEC 9PG+.

Another player to consider is the several Momitsu models; like the Liteon 2001 (which I also have one of), they don't do that hot de-interlacing video or mixed source materials.

A good test is the Video montage on the VE test disk, especially the waving flag...

If you're not into video sourced stuff, since the Momitsu has a DVI-I output, you can set it up to run RGBHV with a simpel dongle adapter. That would be the cheapest way to go, as it wouldn't require any external box. Since I wanted to try out the DVI-RGBHV (HDCP compliant) box, for getting an HD-DVD player later this year, the extra expense was built into my plans, anyway.

Happy hunting... try searching in the CRT forum as well as the DVD player forum for Momitsu- should get a lot of hits.
See less See more
Jon, I thank you very much for your response.

What I see out there is the V880 momitsu and this new NeuNeo HDV208 DVD player. I would want something that would output 720p and go from either YPbPr to RGBHV or YPbPr to YpbPr. I have read some on the NeuNeo and it says it uses a pixel based deinterlacer rather then a line doubler. Which is better? They state that the pixel based deinterlacer is better then doing the line doubling or quadrupling. I have a Zenith HDV420 running 1080i through it's RGB out to RGBHV on my 1271q and that looks pretty good, since that is just feeding it straight source. Just want a better picture then line doubling for my DVD player and would like to see good color, not the best, but good.
I have to say that I am VERRY please with my Momitsu. with a good DVD, it can produce VERRY film like output on my Marquee, for simplicity's sake I am running at 1080i, I used to run the Momitsu at 960p, but since then I have got a HD set top box, and it has just made for a better setup to have them both at the same resolution for the moment.

on Film source material, i never see line doubler artifacting on the momistu. and in-fact last night, wile watching some good N Loud scenes in the Chronicles of Ridic, I played around with using the "zoom" function of the momitsu, and zoomed in so that there were no black bars (I run at 16x9 all the time) the pic was still good... just a little softer than I am used to, but about as bad as the local cinema ;)
Has anyone tried this unit? It's the DivX DVD player. Looks like it has some neat features.

http://labs.divx.com/archives/000032.html

and

http://store.yahoo.com/fire-wire-139...vdplwireh.html
So what about the Black Levels from the momitsu? Is it a V880? Are the bars a little grey when playing a 2:35:1 ratio?
I do have a straight stock V880

with the setup I use, I did black level and grey setup specifically for the Momitsu, also, I use a Extron box to handle the cable run. so no, I have black bars that are TOTALY black.
Joshua,

So what you are saying is that you are using that extron processor which is probably doing some color correction in the processing?

I am really curious as to what it would look like directly from the V880 to the 1271q via component input.

Just out of curiosity, what model extron are you using?
No, there is no color correction in the Extron, it's not a processor, just a signal booster for long cable runs
Quote:
Originally posted by bryan_malmquist
Jon, I thank you very much for your response.

What I see out there is the V880 momitsu and this new NeuNeo HDV208 DVD player. I would want something that would output 720p and go from either YPbPr to RGBHV or YPbPr to YpbPr. I have read some on the NeuNeo and it says it uses a pixel based deinterlacer rather then a line doubler. Which is better? They state that the pixel based deinterlacer is better then doing the line doubling or quadrupling. I have a Zenith HDV420 running 1080i through it's RGB out to RGBHV on my 1271q and that looks pretty good, since that is just feeding it straight source. Just want a better picture then line doubling for my DVD player and would like to see good color, not the best, but good.
I have one of the early Nueno players (submitted for evaluation and comment). Talking about pixel based de-interlacing is marketing gobbledegook. The chipset is a decent one, designed to handle HVD disks (a Chinese HiDeff format), but it has some quirks- on RGBHV, it only outputs standard computer resolutsions- VGA, SVGA, XGA, and SXGA. On component it will upscale to 720P and 1080i, but has funny sync processing that gives most transcoders the fits... but for a native component input it usually works OK. Upscaling frequency response overall is somewhat soft.. and it doesn't handle mis-flagged or video material gracefully. Again, the waving flag montage in VE is a very good, quick, one shot test. If a player handles that, it probably won't have de-interlacing artefacts on any program disks.

The Oppo DVP971 is a DiVX player, also, but not certified for DiVX HD. Wonder if that can materialize as a firmware upgrade?

If bucks were no object, I'd just get an Ayre DX7 transport and a iScan HD scaler. But either of those pieces cost more than my whole video playback chain at this time (not counting the backup set of NEC OEM tubes I have) - my projector, with less than 700 hours, was only $1600.

If you don't watch video sourced stuff a lot, the Momitsu with it's ease of connection and programmable resolutions probably makes the most sense. If you watch video sourced material much (like I do), then you're in more of a quandry... but I'm very happy with what I've got right now- the best playback quality I've ever had.
See less See more
easiest and proabaly most cost efficient would be a HTPC. Then you can scale the resolution at what ever you want.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.