AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us with projectors with only VGA inputs, will there be any problems playing HD-DVD's from a HD-DVD-Rom drive?

At first I was worried since it's now official that it requires HDMI now for HD output, but how would that be enforced since according to the computer your projector is just a normal monitor. Or will HD-DVD on a PC only *gulp* be outputted in 480p like component out from a HD-DVD player?

Just wondering if I should start planning for some sort of upgrade to a HDMI projector. Projector is the primary display, nothing else hooked up and it runs at 800x600 native (Infocus X1). HD projector is definitely down the line for me but I'm very content with the X1 for now and at least want to use up this bulb.

thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
kami i have an nec lt150z pj which is limited to vga in , hooked up to a win xp machine and when i play wmv hd disks (hd dvd) i get outstanding resolution. the native resolution of my pj is 1024 by 768 but i have this scaled to 1024 by 576 (16 by 9) with powerstrip.

i'm certain the "output" from my win xp 3 gig processor w/ radeon 9700 pro card is true 720p or 1080p, depending on the media (for example, wmv hd coral reef adventure is selectable to 720p or 1080p) but i would guess i'm limited to seeing a true 576p? since there are, in reality, only 576 vertical pixels of resolution as truncated by powerstrip... so while the picture looks "outstanding" to me, i know there's still room for improvement.

so i think you are right in that you WILL get true high def output from these disks (1080p or 720p) but you will only enjoy the complete benefit with a 720p or higher on a pj capable of such resolutions.

·
Registered
78 Posts
by the way , yes IMHO i think it is wise to start thinking ahead on a pj that supports hdmi compatability because, until such time as we are able to make the shift, enthusiasts such as you and I will be limited to such content as wmv hd (hd dvd disks) and ota (over the air) standard television station hd ...

format wars aside, hdcp is here to stay...

jdude

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kami
Just wondering if I should start planning for some sort of upgrade to a HDMI projector. Projector is the primary display, nothing else hooked up and it runs at 800x600 native (Infocus X1). HD projector is definitely down the line for me but I'm very content with the X1 for now and at least want to use up this bulb.

thanks
I'd be planning a projector upgrade in your case anyway, the X1 can't even fully resolve anamorphic DVDs.

As to your question, next-gen DVD on the PC hasn't been (officially) settled yet, but odds are, you'll need an HDMI compatible, Protected-Video-Path compatible video card to play NG-DVD. If not, it will either do nothing, or be downresed to 480p or 540p.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishon
kami i have an nec lt150z pj which is limited to vga in , hooked up to a win xp machine and when i play wmv hd disks (hd dvd) i get outstanding resolution. the native resolution of my pj is 1024 by 768 but i have this scaled to 1024 by 576 (16 by 9) with powerstrip.

i'm certain the "output" from my win xp 3 gig processor w/ radeon 9700 pro card is true 720p or 1080p, depending on the media (for example, wmv hd coral reef adventure is selectable to 720p or 1080p) but i would guess i'm limited to seeing a true 576p?
Your output is whatever your desktop is set to, in your case 576p. The video is scaled to your output resolution by the card.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
kami, like stanger89 has said, I would wait for more info mon what is needed before you buy a HD-DVD (or BR for that matter) drive for a PC for use as a movie player.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.