AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for this post, but i have been hunting around for an answer and havent been able to find one. I have a home-built HTPC wunning Vista MCE. I have a set-top cable box running into a standard definition tv tuner card (its an ATI 550). the issue, obviously, is that i cant watch or record HD tv through my HTPC. So, I would like to replace my tv card with one that cand handle HD. I understand that MCE cant display HD, but i am content jumping out of MCE and into a proprietary software to watch a particular show now and then. My question is: the HD cards i have seen have coax cable inputs, s-video inputs and composite inputs. if i am using the signal from my set top box, do i need a card that receives component ot hdmi or whatever to display HD on my HTPC? can i input through s-video into an HD-capable tuner card and get an HD signal?

thanks in advance, and sorry if this is a silly question.

·
Registered
885 Posts
From the other thread, the only solution for real-time viewing anyway is the "Hauppauge HD-PVR, it accepts component input from the cable box, and connects to the PC via USB."

Yes, coax, S-Video and composite typically only transmit SD at best. Component, HDMI, DVI, VGA, etc., and USB as a data interface can transmit the 1920x1080 required for HD.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This seems to be a growing problem. WE NEED A CABLECARD HDTV PC TUNER!!!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarertt /forum/post/15598569

This seems to be a growing problem. WE NEED A CABLECARD HDTV PC TUNER!!!!!

They exist already. Go to any one of the several OEM's (including Dell, HP, Sony, Velocity Micro, and others) who sell pre-configured CableCard-ready PC's, and buy a computer that includes CableCard support.

I bought one from Velocity Micro. It works great.

If what you mean is, you want to be able to buy the tuner stand-alone and add it to your hand-built PC, well... I agree that would be nice. But we can rage all we want about the situation, and the only thing we will have to show for it is some rage.

--Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts