AVS Forum banner

Question about HDD transfer

829 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  jbsimm2 
#1 ·
Like many of you, my 20gig Hdd is about used up. I have been looking for a new 120 gig hdd, but havn't found the right deal yet. I do have a microsoft store kinda close to me and know a person who is a member, but it's hard getting making our schedules work so we can go down there together.

I found a guy selling a 120gig hdd on craigslist. He claims it is official microsoft, and hasn't been used. It doesn come with the xfer kit. He is selling it for $100 (same price as microsoft employee store, but with xfer kit)

Is this a good deal? If I can get a xfer cable, will I be able to xfer the stuff from my 20 gig to this one? My bro just ordered the xfer cable from microsoft, he said they sent it to him free, but is that just the cable or does it come with the software needed also. Can I use it after he does?

Thanks for any information. I am notorious for making quick, bad decisions, and thought I would research something for once. Also I am not interested in buying from ebay becuase I want an official microsoft hdd, not a home made product.

See less See more
#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsimm2 /forum/post/16941501

Is this a good deal? If I can get a xfer cable, will I be able to xfer the stuff from my 20 gig to this one? My bro just ordered the xfer cable from microsoft, he said they sent it to him free, but is that just the cable or does it come with the software needed also. Can I use it after he does?

Thanks for any information. I am notorious for making quick, bad decisions, and thought I would research something for once. Also I am not interested in buying from ebay becuase I want an official microsoft hdd, not a home made product.

decent deal, hard to tell if it's oem or not, or if that even matters... yes the cable comes with the software, and yes you can use it after your brother does.

if you can get oem with cable for the same price, why not try to work out your schedules?

#4 ·
The transfer cable comes with a disc and is free from MS. You don't even have to call them, you just enter the informationon the Xbox web sight. The real question would be why is this person selling his 120G hard drive? If it was the 20 or 60G it makes sense as people upgrade, but usually people do not downgrade. I would pay the taxes and go to the MS store with your friend. The only other option is to wait for a 'deal' from Amazon or Buy.com but i do not think I have seen them for less than $120. I think the retail 120G hard drive come with a transfer kit so it save 1 step.

#5 ·
"The transfer cable comes with a disc and is free from MS. You don't even have to call them, you just enter the informationon the Xbox web sight."

No, it isn't. It would be preferable if you wouldn't blatantly lie to your fellow AVS members.

As for the original question? $100 is the price of a used 120GB drive from Gamestop. At least if you buy it from them, you have the option to return it if broken. $100 for a Craigslist drive is a terrible goddamn deal.

#6 ·
I didn't even think about gamestop. good point. I asked him why he was selling it, and he told me he had a rrod on his pro, and bought an elite, and didn't want to bother getting an xfer cable.

I think I might pass on this, and either go to the microsoft employee store, or gamestop. my bro has (or is getting the xfer cable so that is not a problem)

#7 ·
Plenty of good deals on 120's on ebay. Just got one from a guy (can't remember his user....not at home this week and don't have time to look) that works fine even if it isn't official. It's a refurb WD drive in an official MS drive case. Formatted and read to go. I've not put much time on it yet, but so far it is flawless. got it for 60 something shipped. He's sold a ton of them and has good feedback.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/16943327

"The transfer cable comes with a disc and is free from MS. You don't even have to call them, you just enter the informationon the Xbox web sight."

No, it isn't. It would be preferable if you wouldn't blatantly lie to your fellow AVS members.

As for the original question? $100 is the price of a used 120GB drive from Gamestop. At least if you buy it from them, you have the option to return it if broken. $100 for a Craigslist drive is a terrible goddamn deal.

Why so harsh with your words? The transfer cable is free from MS for those that buy a Elite and want to upgrade data from another console. http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/E6F...withfax_EN.pdf . You fill out the form and fax/mail the form to them and you will get the cable for free. The reality is that there is only 2 ways to get a 'official/approved' 120G HDD. Either by buying it retail (in which case the cable and disc is included) or buying an elite. If someone is selling you the 120HDD, they either took it off an elite (in which case you ask for the serial number from the console it came from) or they are selling a used retail 120G in which case you can attempt to get one from MS with varing success if they lost the cable (people have gotten the cable with only one serial number). If neither then the 120G might not be 'official'. I might not have provided full information on how to get a 'free' cable from MS, but if one were to spend $100 on a HDD, the seller should be more than happy to provide serial numbers. On top of it his brother just got a cable from Xbox for free, which he can use anyways. Where is the blatent lie??

#12 ·
my bro got his for free too. his was a used 120gig from an elite. It is unclear if he had to give any info, he was on line with microsoft support for rrod when he asked for it. maybe they were more accomodating.

Every time I have tried to use my edge card for accessories I am told only on games. none of the 20 or 30 or so local gamestops in my area give the 10% on hdd's.

I did pass on buying the hdd. I will wait to see if they drop the price, or if I can get a better deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.