AVS Forum banner

Question about HDD transfer

830 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  jbsimm2 
#1 ·
Like many of you, my 20gig Hdd is about used up. I have been looking for a new 120 gig hdd, but havn't found the right deal yet. I do have a microsoft store kinda close to me and know a person who is a member, but it's hard getting making our schedules work so we can go down there together.

I found a guy selling a 120gig hdd on craigslist. He claims it is official microsoft, and hasn't been used. It doesn come with the xfer kit. He is selling it for $100 (same price as microsoft employee store, but with xfer kit)

Is this a good deal? If I can get a xfer cable, will I be able to xfer the stuff from my 20 gig to this one? My bro just ordered the xfer cable from microsoft, he said they sent it to him free, but is that just the cable or does it come with the software needed also. Can I use it after he does?

Thanks for any information. I am notorious for making quick, bad decisions, and thought I would research something for once. Also I am not interested in buying from ebay becuase I want an official microsoft hdd, not a home made product.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
good question. It's mostly that I never think about asking her to go up there with me, when I have time. Then it comes up when I don't have time or don't have the money.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
I didn't even think about gamestop. good point. I asked him why he was selling it, and he told me he had a rrod on his pro, and bought an elite, and didn't want to bother getting an xfer cable.

I think I might pass on this, and either go to the microsoft employee store, or gamestop. my bro has (or is getting the xfer cable so that is not a problem)

Discussion starter · #12 ·
my bro got his for free too. his was a used 120gig from an elite. It is unclear if he had to give any info, he was on line with microsoft support for rrod when he asked for it. maybe they were more accomodating.

Every time I have tried to use my edge card for accessories I am told only on games. none of the 20 or 30 or so local gamestops in my area give the 10% on hdd's.

I did pass on buying the hdd. I will wait to see if they drop the price, or if I can get a better deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.