AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year everyone. Sorry if this has been asked and answered elsewhere. Spent a great deal of time searching and didn't find an answer to my specific question.

So I got a PS3 for Christmas and did some searches for an HDMI cable and ended up purchasing a Monster Ultra 800 for about $30 (great price, original retail tagged at about $150), but I believe it is discontinued model. I'm using a 46" Sony LCD Bravia 1080p.

The packaging of the Monster cable says it reaches "a maximum HD resolution of 720p/1080i". I notice it does not "reach" 1080p specifically, although my TV is supposedly displaying blu-ray content in 1080p. Perhaps this is because the Ultra model is an earlier generation cable (hence the now cheaper price). The Monster website shows newer model cables that specifically support 1080p. This can all be marketing hype, which I hear what makes Monster expensive in the first place. My question is, is it true that this cable only reaches 1080i and I might not be getting a 1080p picture by using this "older" Monster cable?

Anyone lend some insight to this? I'm tempted with going with a "newer" HDMI cable (maybe the $5 regarded on this forum) But if there really is no difference in picture quality, and I'm getting a true 1080p picture, then I won't.

·
Registered
23,251 Posts
If the player outputs 1080p, the TV accepts 1080p and you have no issues, you're good. It's 1080p. No difference in picture quality if it works.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.