AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I read about few different receivers but I cannot find a conclusive info.
Do all recent receivers route all incoming video sources out to HDMI (with or without upscaling) I know some receives explicitly state "4K Upscaling" and sometimes this refers specifically to HDMI inputs. So they may or may not upscale Composite/Component inputs.
Additionally, when some receivers don't state 4K Upscaling, is it possible they can still route composite video to HDMI as-is? Or this is never a standard function and not expected in the first place?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SuThank you both for the information.
Sony Support Rep at Amazon totally confused me when I was reading through questions section on their budget 550 model:

http://www.amazon.com/Does-send-Composite-input-output/forum/Fx2NOSYWZVPABQM/Tx3G7KPTD0FA4SU
http://www.amazon.com/forum/-/Tx10SJHAF6XRII4/ref=ask_dp_dpmw_al_hza?asin=B00J30GXW2

I realize this requires add'l hardware but I thought it simply passed the analog signal to digital without doing much work, more like VGA to HDMI type of move, I guess I was wrong. Aren't there $10 devices that do this? Can I use one of those to get around this limitation, like plugging my composite device (sat receiver) to HDMI input to take advantage of the switching?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If we consider the 4K technology, what is the main requirement to avoid being left with an outdated device? Is HDMI 2.0 sufficient since this will guarantee 50/60fps at 4k res as well as 3D. I don't own either tech, but if I will get a new TV it will definitely be 4K (not sure about 3D) so if my new Receiver is HDMI 2.0, to be specific if it is Sony STR-DH550 am I relatively OK compared to something that has HDMI 1.4? I know it doesn't have HDCP 2.2 but that will probably be an issue with a TV too, if the TV is not HDCP2.2 it won't work anyway.
I am not worried about network/bluetooth or lack of add'l USB ports.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends on whether you purchase a new HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 BDP (avail Fall 2015) to play the new UHD BDs as this would at the very least require an HDCP 2.2 TV.
Thanks, so what is going to happen to those TVs that do not have HDCP 2.2 but are 4K TV's? They won't be able to play them or they will just play them at regular fps? I don't think any BD (4K or not) is running at anything more than 24fps which doesn't need hdcp 2.2 or HDMI 2.0.

One thing, though, is there a 4K 3D content out there? Non of the receivers I checked support 60fps at 3D, so I assume this content is not available at all.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They will play non HDCP 2.2 4k and lower resolution content.
Thanks.
I know it's not relevant at this stage but that 4k content is requirement of 50 or 60fps, so if the movie is not released on 60fps, they wouldn't be able to play back, or will they simply skip frames in that case?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts