AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have all my hdmi cables running from my player to my TV and fiber optic cable running from my player to my reciever. If I want to hear Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA, do I need to run hdmi all the way? Like from my player to my receiver and then from my receiver to my TV. Can someone please advise?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Optical does not have the necessary "bandwidth" to feed any receiver with a Dolby HD or DTS MA signal.

HDMI spec 1.3 is the only connection that has the bandwidth to feed a receiver with those codecs.

So if your player, cable and receiver are HDMI v1.3 compliant and the receiver can decode Dolby HD or DTS MA, AND you have the necessary amount of speakers you should be able to hear the Dolby HD and/or DTS MA codecs as they are intended.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Mostly true. You can get lossless audio over HDMI 1.2 though. Given a player that can decode TrueHD and/or DTS-HD Master Audio you can send the audio via PCM over HDMI.

You need an HDMI receiver that accepts HDMI/MPCM audio in this case.

That's the setup I have now. A PS3 (which can only send lossless audio via PCM) connected to a receiver which accepts 7.1 MPCM over HDMI.

HDMI 1.3 adds the ability to bitstream TrueHD, Dolby Digital+, DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts