AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to hook up a Velodyne VX-10 sub to my Onkyo SR606 receiver. The 606 has an one LFE output. The sub takes a right and left input from the receiver. Should I split the output from the 606 using a RCA Y splitter or can I just use cable that just goes into the left input of the sub?

·
Registered
986 Posts
You can use one cable to either the left or right input of the sub. Although, I have VX-10, and it frankly has pretty weak auto-sensing, so I did end up using a y-cable to send a stronger signal to the VX-10.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I agree completely with Jeffrey - Get a Y-splitter for that Velodyne. I have a SPL 1200 Series II that would very often turn itself off in the middle of a 5.1/7.1 soundtrack when there wasn't any bass activity, and then get a subtle "pop" when the action started and it turned back on.

I ended up removing the Y-splitter and started turning the sub on/off with the power switch since it's conveniently located - and disabled the auto-power feature. If yours is out of reach, get the splitter.

Greg

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have a VX-10, and use a splitter. I found one at Home Depot for $2.50 (RCA brand), and it works fine. If you don't use a splitter, check the manual again; it recommends using one of the inputs on the sub if you are only using one, but I can't remember if its R or L.

Velodyne employee Curt in the "official Velodyne Support Thread" here recommends them for making the auto-on feature work better as Jeffrey said. So its the "official" recommendation from Velodyne support.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
As far as the splitter issue is concerned, the newer VX10 preamp has been redesigned because of the auto-on problem. The input sensitivity is much higher. According to Velo Pres. Bruce Hall, It no longer requires a Y connector, and since I have both models, I must say that I agree with him.

Ian

·
Registered
838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang /forum/post/14185621

As far as the splitter issue is concerned, the newer VX10 preamp has been redesigned because of the auto-on problem. The input sensitivity is much higher. According to Velo Pres. Bruce Hall, It no longer requires a Y connector, and since I have both models, I must say that I agree with him.

Ian

I didn't actually see a difference in response using the splitter, but put it in just in case. I'm very happy with my VX10, but I'm not an audiophile by any means. I was just happy that my wife noticed the music sounded better but didn't know why, and that the bass isn't boomy or "directional". It worked better than I expected in my hard surfaced room.

Just another question: My Polk R150's specs say they go down to 65hz, and I have my Onkyo receiver set to crossover at 80hz using the 10 - 20 hz higher rule of thumb. Should I then set the VX10 crossover to the highest setting (160mhz) so they don't fight each other?

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan /forum/post/14190284

I didn't actually see a difference in response using the splitter, but put it in just in case. I'm very happy with my VX10, but I'm not an audiophile by any means. I was just happy that my wife noticed the music sounded better but didn't know why, and that the bass isn't boomy or "directional". It worked better than I expected in my hard surfaced room.

Just another question: My Polk R150's specs say they go down to 65hz, and I have my Onkyo receiver set to crossover at 80hz using the 10 - 20 hz higher rule of thumb. Should I then set the VX10 crossover to the highest setting (160mhz) so they don't fight each other?

Using the splitter gives you an initial 3db more output. Set the crossover all the way up (200hz is max.) and just use your receiver's cross. To get the most out of your VX10 pm me and I'll send you my set up procedures.

Ian

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan /forum/post/14190284

Yes turn the crossover on the sub to it's highest setting and let the crossover in the receiver control it.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Just to comment for other readers, my VX10 senses the signal just fine, even at very low volumes, it's never off while music is on. New ones from Vanns are manufactured like in June, 2008, so no worry about getting old stock. My Vanns purchase experience was very positive, as is my impression of the Velodyne. There's a little 'one note wonder' going on with certain classical pieces I've tried, but I got mine mostly for movies and so far I like it... LOVE it for $170 shipped!

·
Registered
8,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly13 /forum/post/14838986

Just to comment for other readers, my VX10 senses the signal just fine, even at very low volumes, it's never off while music is on. New ones from Vanns are manufactured like in June, 2008, so no worry about getting old stock. My Vanns purchase experience was very positive, as is my impression of the Velodyne. There's a little 'one note wonder' going on with certain classical pieces I've tried, but I got mine mostly for movies and so far I like it... LOVE it for $170 shipped!

I sent you the set up instructions as requested. It should sound more accurate when you're finished. Your volume level is probably too high. 75% is stretching it .

Ian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts