AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

This is my second question on the boards so please bare with me. I'm a total newb to this stuff but I inherited a couple of Marquees 8500s from work.
so I figure I'll try and see what the fuss is all about.

This is the problem I am currently having.. Both projectors were showing the H-fail. After reading the forums on this problem I simply reseated the HD board a few times and that solved the problem in one of the projectors but the other did not respond and still has the H-fail light on.

After a little more troubleshooting I figured out that one of the three "boxes" located on the HD board ( the box the corresponds to the blue tube) which looks like some type of relay is making a clicking sound which stops when I disconnect the blue scan connection.

I switched boards from my other 8500 and it worked fine so I'm certain the problem is with the HD board. I just have a few questions I was hoping you guys may be able to answer.

What are those three boxes located on the HD board ? And once I figure out what they are, is it possible to buy one from an electronics store to see if this is the problem? Also, will the HD board from an 8000 or 8110 work in the 8500? and finally does anyone have any spare HD boards (working or not) they would like to sell?

Thanks for your time.

Kevin K.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
3 boxes on the HD board?

Speak to Curt... I know he has some HDM boards, he also repairs them too

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
the "3 boxes" are relays, they switch the H-sweep from parallel to series for high/low scan rates. sounds like your in way over your head, better send it to Curt for a proper repair.

did you ever manage to rescue the other 2 8500's?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Hello

Replace HDM capacitor C50, and small transistor Q501 on the daughter board, this will fix 4 out of 5 HDMs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm /forum/post/0

the "3 boxes" are relays, they switch the H-sweep from parallel to series for high/low scan rates. sounds like your in way over your head,.

A little but if I know what and where, I'm capable of replacing a few caps and a transister. Thanks.

Quote:
did you ever manage to rescue the other 2 8500's?

No, Someone else got them before I did.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Hello

Doubtful, e.mail me your postal address and they are yours. Hope you or a buddy can solder.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobnewb /forum/post/0

After a little more troubleshooting I figured out that one of the three "boxes" located on the HD board ( the box the corresponds to the blue tube) which looks like some type of relay is making a clicking sound which stops when I disconnect the blue scan connection. Kevin K.

tim do you really think replacing that cap and a little FET on the daughterboard will solve this?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm /forum/post/0

tim do you really think replacing that cap and a little FET on the daughterboard will solve this?

Dragan

Eighty percent success rate the last seven years...........

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobnewb /forum/post/0

We'll find out.
Just one question. Do I use flux or anything other than the solder?

Oh man.... That's a scary statemant from someone who is going to attempt board level repairs.

If your really not sure about this, please find someone who can do this for you!

·
Registered
4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJR /forum/post/0

Oh man.... That's a scary statemant from someone who is going to attempt board level repairs.

so the Propane torch and plumbers lead solder won't work here? I just thought if I pre-heated the whole board it would all go back together a lot easier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My buddy who has a used Audio retail store gave it to his repairman this morning. I just got it back a few minutes ago and popped it in the projector and it works!

Thanks Tim, Draganm and everyone else.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.