AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Samsung 5271 LCD, and have been getting images like this on CBS. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to find out if it's the DVR, or the TV before my 30 days expires on the TV exchange period.

[/IMG]

Originally Posted by westa6969

Holy Crap! Is that bad but certainly if it were the fault of the panel it would replicate on all channels. The TV doesn't selectively apply it's video processing in such a manner. To prove it lets see an HD DVD or BD hooked up and it should be pristine. My CBS HD and all my other HD Channels are close to perfect whereas NBC SNF can be riddled with compression and it's either Comcast or NBC but it certainly is not an artifact one can blame selectively on the TV for one TV out of the hundreds it's tuning.

If I'm wrong then tell me how the VP could selectively turn CBS to crap? The TV is digital and so is it's VP. Far to many members outright choose to blame the panel first without following common sense diagnostic troubleshooting techniques. You can see it daily on this forum. If one switched to ABC HD or other HD sources and it's pristine please tell me how the VP can selectively turn CBS into Crap unless the signal is compressed or weak - Garbage in = garbage out! The TV is OBJECTIVELY displaying what it is receiving and in this case it's obvioiusly incomplete data.

My response from the Flat Panel LCD forum for Samsung 5271 owners!

Ok! I really figured it was the TV. I still get stutter on several other channels, but the CBS performs like above.So as you suggested I have checked my DVR's signal strength, and found several transponders to be Not acquired, and others that were very weak signals anywhere from 22-50%. My question would be do I do a reset of the DVR, or try Repeat Satellite Setup. I assume that repeat satellite setup could possibly help. I'm afraid it will require a call to DirecTv though. I don't want to mess up anything with my DirecTv, but need to know if it's my dish, or my Tv. I only have about 7 days before the 30 exchange period is up. You very well may be right about the DVR causing the CBS problem, but I doubt the lesser stutter from Disney, Discovery HD and 101-Music are from this. I think they are Samsung related issues. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's not the tv. That is my picture on all the new mpeg 4 channels from DirecTV. But only on my H20. All my other receivers work, even if i switch locations. D says I need to run solid copper core RG6 to this box. Funny the HR20 works on that existing cable run.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Hollywood33: Florida? Hollywood, FL? Just wondering: Is your CBS affilliate WINK-DT, and are receiving it OTA? If so, it's your antenna; your tuner is receiving a signal that's too weak, and the tuner is right on the cusp between a perfect picture and "no signal". All other stations are on the UHF band, while WINK-DT is on the VHF band. Either your antenna isn't designed to pick up VHF, or it's in an attic that has an aluminum-based roof, or I'm missing something.

IAMQNOW: Your problem is almost definitely with your HR20, and not the cable run. Might as well switch it for a new H20 or H21.

·
Registered
44 Posts
No doubt in my mind either. But Direct would not budge. Finally, 2 weeks ago,after 3 seperate phone complaints, they sent an H20 refurb. It was dirty, scratched and would do nothing when I plugged it in. I was on the phone with them for another 45 min. It would do nothing other than download updates. They refreshed my service 2 more times and said it had to be my cable and they want $79. for a service call. When I got the "new" H20, I called to activate it of course. They said "which receiver should we deactivate?" Thankfully I said "none, let's make sure the replacement works." At least they stayed on the phone while I tried it in 2 of my other locations. It would not activate anywhere. I plugged my old H20 back in and it worked fine except for the MPEG4 channels. Now they tell me I need solid copper core RG6. Well, all the existing, to 4 receivers, is copper clad, and they ran it. And my HR20 works just fine on the run where the H20 normally resides.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts