AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a Front Projector (LT150) and I want to use it with an HTPC. I want the screen to be 16x9. Can I setup the software on the HTPC to do the "stretch" on 4:3 like I see the rear projectors at Best Buy do?

Also, I'm looking to get Canned lighting for the ceiling, does anyone have any certain lights that work best?

Thanks,

ScAndal

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Don't know about the lighting, but you can easily set up your HTPC to do 16x9. The video cards you would want to use with your HTPC (GeForce, Radeon, etc) will support 16x9 resolutions, and the software DVD players will work fine with this, scaling both anamorphic and non-anamorphic DVD's to fill the 16x9 screen. Many (most, I think) of us HTPC users are doing this - it's no problem. Many of us also use the shareware program, PowerStrip, to tweak the video settings on our video cards.

HTH.

- Dave

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
You would only receive benifit if you are using an anamorphic lens. Otherwise the LT150 will just scale it back to 4:3.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Chemist:

Is that true - you can't send the LT150 1024x576, and have it only use 576 lines of its 768 possible lines? I didn't know that. My projector can do this (not an LT150).

In that case, I stand corrected. However, scandal can still do what he wants, using another technique. Scandal, in that case, you'd want to use a 1024x768 resolution, and use another shareware program, YxY, to move the displayed image vertically (if neccessary), so that it is located within your 16x9 screen. This actually gives you the same effect as my other suggestion. All this will not be neccessary if you aim your projector such that the 16x9 image is located where your screen is.

I use the other technique to get 16x9 on my 4x3 projector, but I think YxY will give you what you want. Somebody who's actually doing this will probably pipe in to give you the details.

Good luck!

- Dave

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Just set LT150 to native instead of auto mode and it won't scale and will allow custom resolutions like 1024X576 using powerstrip. This way your windoze desktop does not fall outside the 16:9 screen. When you play DVD it may still give you black bars within this 1024X576 window and image looks squished except I believe PowerDVD let you play normally.

YxY or Zoomplayer can stretch image so that 4:3 source will fit on 16:9 screen.

A PJ that's 16:9 native won't shine black letterbox bars outside the 16:9 screen. It has higher resolution than 4:3 XGA units due to more pixels in the 16:9 area: 1365X768 (Wide XGA).

Radeon LE is cheapest and most stable ($50). Radeon VE lets you do dual head (one for PJ and one for monitor for computing without needing switch box). VE can be more unstable however and is also $50. Radeon 8500 is best for games and DVD but is $200. It beats Geforce3 (not Ti500 but just plain Geforce3) in FPS on Quake3.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Many of us here have LT 150's

We set it to Cinema mode and it handles 16:9 by only using a portion of the display panel.

Go to the nectech.com web site. Read the manual. It is a wealth of information

You use the htpc to do the scaling and get wonderful results.

Do some searches on LT150 in the DLP forum and you will probably find 100's of users.

We have long been advocating the use of an htpc with an lt150 to get the most out of it.

It is a very high contrast projector and looks fantistic especially with a high power da lite screen.

See the unit first and I do not think you will be sorry.

Especially if you are not suceptible to rainbow.

I do not use xyx or powerstrip as I do not know why. I am getting great results with the LT 150

Warren Feldstein

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Scandal,

I find that I prefer a "low gain" screen with my LT150 (the Stewart Grayhawk) compared to my 1.3 gain Vutec screen (both 16:9).

I've heard good things about high gain screens, but I really like what the Grayhawk does with maintaining depth in the image with a digital projector.

I suppose differing opinions are what make this hobby fun!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave T
Chemist:

Is that true - you can't send the LT150 1024x576, and have it only use 576 lines of its 768 possible lines? I didn't know that. My projector can do this (not an LT150).

Good luck!

- Dave
Whats the difference between sending a 1024X576 16:9 signal to the pj vs a 1024X768 letterboxed image? None. You projector is mearly scalling the 1024X576 to 1024X768 by adding black bars to the top and bottom. The 16:9 image on the 1024X768 image is 1024X576. Either way, you are not using 33% of the pixels in the verticle dimension. To get those last 33%, you need an anomorphic lens or buy a projector with a 16:9 panel.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thought I'd take a shot at the second part of your question regarding lighting.

Downlighting (cans) is a good choice. Halo (Cooper Industries) is a quality brand that is available at Home Depot et al for a reasonable cost. The 6" cans are generally sold separately from the trim pieces, and for some reason the trim pieces cost more than the fixtures, go figure. I would suggest that you get black coilex trim and use 90 watt PAR spots. You can use wall washer trim (covers 1/2 the opening) near the screen to further limit light spill.

Using the incandescent lamps will allow you to easily dim the lights with standard dimmers. Or you can use X10 to do remote control....

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
When you "stretch" the image on a 16:9 CRT, you gain resolution. A 16:9 disc will be displayed with 480 verticle lines while a non anaorphic disc (letterboxed, not 4:3) would only be displayed with 320 verticle lines. That makes a big difference. A 4:3 digitla panel cannot do this. But you really don't loose any of the resolution on the DVD becuase 1024 X 576 (the portion of the panel that is used) is greater than the DVD's 720X480. Just send the LT150 a letterboxed 1024 X 768 signal. If you want that last bit of performance, go over to the digital pj forum and pick up a ISCO II anamorphic lens that is on a power buy, use the HTPC to send an anomorphic 1024 X 768 image to the pj, and bath in the beautiful image.

·
Registered
582 Posts
do a search. There is a great deal written.

Recently Mr. Wiggles compared the LT150 to the Da-lite high gain.

Go read his comments.

They favoured the high gain.

My research on the high gain suggests the opposite result. My experience suggests the high gain is great.

Go figure.

Warren

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Chemist

Whats the difference between sending a 1024X576 16:9 signal to the pj vs a 1024X768 letterboxed image? None.
Greg:

Once you've got the image displayed correctly, that's true. But, there's something annoying about having things displayed outside the screen, like the desktop, when you don't happen to have a letterbox DVD displaying.

You're much better off with the desktop resolution being 16x9 in the first place.

- Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.