AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little confused thinking about video processors, HDMI 1.3, and the new audio formats that require HDMI (Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD). If you have a high def DVD player, an external video processor, and a (soon to be released) AV receiver that can decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD, how do you separate the audio and video via HDMI such that the video is sent to the video processor and the audio is sent to the receiver?

Furthermore, I would assume you also want to send the audio (TrueHD or DTS-HD) through the video processor such that you can sync the audio and video if the video processor is causing a lag on the video side. This seems to further complicate things?

Finally, if there is a clean solution, are any of video processing companies coming out with products to support this?

Sincerely,

snooktapron

·
Registered
256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooktarpon /forum/post/0

I'm a little confused thinking about video processors, HDMI 1.3, and the new audio formats that require HDMI (Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD). If you have a high def DVD player, an external video processor, and a (soon to be released) AV receiver that can decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD, how do you separate the audio and video via HDMI such that the video is sent to the video processor and the audio is sent to the receiver?

Furthermore, I would assume you also want to send the audio (TrueHD or DTS-HD) through the video processor such that you can sync the audio and video if the video processor is causing a lag on the video side. This seems to further complicate things?

Finally, if there is a clean solution, are any of video processing companies coming out with products to support this?

Sincerely,

snooktapron

I am having the exact same problem. If there is an easy way to separate HDMI audio and HDMI video from one HDMI out on the HD-DVD/Blu Ray player, let me know!!!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The easiest way is to not separate anything...

That's why the future is with pre/pro and receivers with high quality scalers inside, like the Anthem AVM50 and Statement D2. Anthem were the first to do it properly 8 months ago, and now everyone will follow... Denon will be using Reon HQV in some new products, Classe will use Gennum VXP in a new pre/pro...

Anthem were just smarter then everyone else and see that coming. Now everyone will have to do it.

I don't have any problems with my Blu-rays and HD-DVD, and I have Gennum VXP processing in my pre/pro (Anthem D2). I have compared the D2 scaling to the Crystalio II and the VP50, and the D2 was easily up there with those 2 popular scalers for picture quality, features and settings.

Minus the headaches with the new HD formats...

·
Premium Member
719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE /forum/post/0

The easiest way is to not separate anything...

That's why the future is with pre/pro and receivers with high quality scalers inside, like the Anthem AVM50 and Statement D2. Anthem were the first to do it properly 8 months ago, and now everyone will follow... Denon will be using Reon HQV in some new products, Classe will use Gennum VXP in a new pre/pro...

Anthem were just smarter then everyone else and see that coming. Now everyone will have to do it.

I don't have any problems with my Blu-rays and HD-DVD, and I have Gennum VXP processing in my pre/pro (Anthem D2). I have compared the D2 scaling to the Crystalio II and the VP50, and the D2 was easily up there with those 2 popular scalers for picture quality, features and settings.

Minus the headaches with the new HD formats...

the problem then is richness in sound quality. denon seems flat. how do you find anthem? i feel a separates solution with good quality sound is more important than convenience of a single box. is there a separates solution?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl b /forum/post/0

how do you find anthem? i feel a separates solution with good quality sound is more important than convenience of a single box. is there a separates solution?

3 new Anthem D2 owners (see the link to the D2 thread in my signature) just made the switch from the Lexicon MC-12B + DVDO VP50 and Lexicon MC-12HD + DVDO VP50, and those 3 prefer the D2... One of my friend just made the switch from the VP50 to the D2 2 weeks ago, and he prefers the D2 Gennum VXP scaler.

So what do you think?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am also looking for a new processor for my home theater. I currently have an Onkyo TX-SR 703.

My only must have features is to pass multi-channel pcm audio over hdmi and to pass a 1080p video signal to my 1080p tv.

I would also like the following:

-Better audio (less harsh at loud volumes especially with two channel audio).

-Ability to process all video to 1080p.

The only problem is that I can get my must have features pretty cheaply with a Denon AVR-3806. I am wondering how much better the anthem will process the video to 1080p compared to my tv's scalar (sony xbr3 lcd).

Can anyone out there give me some A,B comparisons of the a TV scaler vs the anthem's? Also pictures would be nice. I am mainly interested in upconverting HD cable broadcasts and my hd-dvd player (1080i material).

PS I have read tweaking guild on this forum, but mainly that deals with problems people are seeing with the processor.

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
The scaler/processer in the Anthem is a much better peice than in your Sony. Sony makes there own and it is not the greatest. I have a Pearl projector and am concidering the Anthem to replace my Sunfire (which I love) just for the processor and HDMI I do not want to deal with several separate units. And it is looking it will be a bonus in sound quality and features.

Nate

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have been wondering about this too.

Could you not send the HDMI output from the DVD player to the receiver, set up a new receiver to decode the Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD (HDMI 1.3) and provide lip sync. Also set it up to do video pass-through and use the HDMI out to go the the video processor?

Would this work?

Paul

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF /forum/post/0

I have been wondering about this too.

Could you not send the HDMI output from the DVD player to the receiver, set up a new receiver to decode the Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD (HDMI 1.3) and provide lip sync. Also set it up to do video pass-through and use the HDMI out to go the the video processor?

Would this work?

Paul

I believe this should work as long as your receiver has the audio delay feature to sync it with video coming out of the video processor. I guess I was assuming the audio delay feature would not be available. Let's hope it is in most upcoming products.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Snooktarpon,

A number of receivers support audio sync or audio delay.

I just checked a copy of the manual I have on the Yamaha 2700 and it supports zero to 240 ms. This receiver also supports HDMI pass-through for video.

It does not support HD audio bitstreams or vers. 1.3 HDMI as this is very new but it does support multi-channel linear PCM.

This is pretty typical of all current mid-range receivers. As we start seeing HDMI 1.3 support with native HD audio decoding in the receiver we may get to where you want to be. I like this setup as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
While I admit that I mostly use my HT and front proj. for DVD and HD-DVD movies, I also use it for the really "good HD stuff" (movies and series) from HBO, etc via cable. This presents another difficulty in that many cable boxes (at least my Moto 6412 series) will not work connected through a receiver via HDMI since the box sees the receiver as a repeater. This doesn't happen when going thru my VP50 and is one reason I am hesitant to make a move to AVR w/ scaler. If this problem is corrected, I would dump my VP50 and go with something like the Anthem. Expensive, but in the end, not much more than my Denon 4806 and VP50 combined and a more elegant, one box solution.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.