AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the Japanese release of Phantom Of The Opera? I was wondering if the TrueHD track is recorded at the correct level? The HD-DVD version sounds terrific but it requires a volume adjustment of 10-15 db higher than normal tracks.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I purchased a copy a few days ago from Amazon.JP.

I haven't had time to watch the entire presentation yet (I plan on doing so tonight), but I did view a few scenes.

The level of the TrueHD track was one of the first things that I checked. It is at the proper level. Both it and the PCM track were exceptional.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good to hear!

Could you please check whether this release is region-coded or not??? Help would be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyandy /forum/post/13010315

Good to hear!

Could you please check whether this release is region-coded or not??? Help would be very much appreciated!

Hi eddy,

I don't see a region code listed on the back of the case.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroenen /forum/post/13011620

Hi eddy,

I don't see a region code listed on the back of the case. That is other than the "2" which I would assume is in reference to any extras that are in SD.

That can't be it. Region coding would affect whether the disc is playable at all. The only region codes they could use are the BD codes, which in this case would be Region A. They don't have a region code just for the SD extras (though NTSC/PAL still comes into play in that case, but Japan is NTSC so no problem).

·
Registered
800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl /forum/post/13012881

That can't be it. Region coding would affect whether the disc is playable at all. The only region codes they could use are the BD codes, which in this case would be Region A. They don't have a region code just for the SD extras (though NTSC/PAL still comes into play in that case, but Japan is NTSC so no problem).

Yep, you're right. I'm not sure what I was thinking there.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroenen /forum/post/13009373

I purchased a copy a few days ago from Amazon.JP.

I haven't had time to watch the entire presentation yet (I plan on doing so tonight), but I did view a few scenes.

The level of the TrueHD track was one of the first things that I checked. It is at the proper level. Both it and the PCM track were exceptional.

I hope this helps.

Wow! This disc has a PCM & TrueHD English track? I see by the above image it is an AVC encode...im assuming this must be on a BD50 as well?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyandy /forum/post/13010315

Good to hear!

It is region coded...1 which is Japan & North America...you're safe to import AFAIK.

·
Registered
800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant /forum/post/13013229

Wow! This disc has a PCM & TrueHD English track?

Yes, it has both.

Quote:
I see by the above image it is an AVC encode...im assuming this must be on a BD50 as well?

You are correct. It is on a BD50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant /forum/post/13013241

It is region coded...1 which is Japan & North America...you're safe to import AFAIK.

Ah... I was looking for ABC. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Kroenen,

How's the PQ? Any noticable improvements/differences between the US version. Just curious, since it looks like it was re-encoded using AVC onto a BD-DL.

Also, the volume level is only reduced on the HD-DVD version if the player is internally converting the DD+ or DTHD tracks into PCM. If it is outputing a bitstream of those tracks and letting the AVR decode it, the proper volume level is restored.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
When are people going to get it in their heads that Japan and North America are in the same region when it comes to Blu-ray? Region A people.

·
Registered
324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant /forum/post/13013241

do you know it, or you predict it?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm in Region B land (Europe) and have ordered this disc from YesAsia. If it plays on my region B PS3 we can safely assume it isn't region locked. (If it doesn't... Excrement!) As mentioned above, Japan and the U.S. are in the same region so American buyers need not worry.

I'll let you know once it gets here and I've tried it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Well, I got the disc and can confirm that it works in my Region B PS3. It may not be region free, but it is at least region A and B.

Oh.. and no extras, just 3 Japanese trailers for the movie (all in SD) and text profiles of the main cast (in Japanese).

AVC encode (Warner's was VC-1, as was the German edition)

Subtitles can be turned off.

Both TrueHD and PCM 5.1 in English only, no Japanese dub.

Menu in Japanese only, but the movie starts automatically and defaults to Dolby TrueHD and Japanese subs on.

I believe this to be the best available home video edition of this movie on any format.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
So tempting... but am still upset that Warner hasn't even tried to correct the situation on their release of this movie. The $50 double-dip is a little too much for me right now.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I would agree- I just received my copy to day from Yes-Asia. I was worried about the aspect ration since I also just received Sahara which turned out to be 1:85/

·
Registered
562 Posts
Nissen & calvin c,

Any differences in PQ and/or bitrate compared to the Warner release?

Thanks.

·
Registered
583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicey /forum/post/13051697

Nissen & calvin c,

Any differences in PQ and/or bitrate compared to the Warner release?

Thanks.

Well, hard to say without a side-by side comparison. My subjective impression was that the Japanese AVC encode seemed a bit smoother, as opposed to the VC-1's sharpness. But I'll settle for "identical", the differences are negligible. Image quality will not be a deterrent from getting the Japanese import, that's for sure.

Couldn't say about the bitrate, as my Warner Phantom is an HD DVD and the player doesn't display that info. Never glanced at the BD bitrate either.

One other thing, on the new DTHD soundtrack (downconverted to DD 5.1 in my PS3) the dialogue placement seemed much more defined than on the Warner track. Also, the dialogue seemed much clearer and distinct from the rest of the sound mix. It may just be that the levels are so different between the Jap. and the US releases.

And the price was just $43.75 from YesAsia with global free shipping, not $50.

·
Registered
547 Posts
After viewing some select scenes, I would say there is very little difference, if at all between this and the WB release. Of course the best thing is there is Dolby TrueHD and LPCM audio-the audio alone is worth it for me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts