AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some JVC players have the feature "Digital Direct Progressive Scan". Is this any different from what we all commonly know as progressive scan? Is the "digital direct" part just a fancy way of saying "built in digital line doubler"?

Thanks......

Peace.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was curious about this before I purchased my XV-S500BK. It seems no one had an answer. (I was shocked that no one at the HT stores even KNEW what 3:2 pulldown was.)

JVC really hid this info on their site, but I found it. Quote:

Digital Direct Progressive Scan

Most movies are stored on DVD at the rate of 24 frames per second. JVC uses 2/3 pull down to directly convert these movies into double density-- 60 frame per second--progressive scan images for display on a suitable high definition television. This JVC method eliminates the need for any intermediate conversion from progressive data to interlace data. The result is natural, smooth images with less noise and higher resolution.

- John

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
John that is very good information for us JVC DVD owners out there, I also have a 500 black in color Regions 1-6.

John, Welcome to the AVS forum I hope you find this coffee house to sit and have a cup of home theater with us a pleasant experience. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought a rather inexpensive JVC progressive scan last week...an S65. I was at a loss as to how to get Y-R,B component into my Sony XBR because I only have two of those inputs on the TV...and three devices. I made some calls and the guy at Home Theater Store told me I'd be better off using S-video for my non progressive scan DVD rather than Y-R, B because the tv would shut off its line doubler and run on the DVD proressive scan...and at less than 200 bucks, the DVD...even a progressive scan DVD is no match for a top of the line TV w/ line doubling. So I went back to using Y-R, B for my E20 and HD STB and s-video for my other player.

He said that short of spending at $600+ on a higher end machine, a cheap progressive scan player just doesn't cut it.

All this info came about beacuse I was looking for a switch box for switching between two RGB sources. He had a Krell that would do the job...for $4200!!!!!

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
For a top end switcher with pass thru try www.inlineinc.com , when on click on switchers go to IN3504 or 06. Then get ratshack gold plated bnc to rca phono jacks for a capability of 4-6 components running thru your now converted computer switcher for the ablility of plugging up to 6 components into your one Y-Pr-Pb input.

Prices are $625 & $895 plus ratshacks $3.99 a bnc to phono connecter for the 4 you'll need (4x3 plus 3 for the HDTV output) 15 for the 6 you'll need 21. Don't forget the E InlineInc when going to the website. A lot more for a lot less than that $4200 one. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes...there are cheaper ways to go and I can certainly build one. Bottom line, until I get a nice progressive scan...I will stay with what I have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
> run on the DVD progressive scan...and at less than 200 bucks, the

> DVD...even a progressive scan DVD is no match for a top of the line TV w/ > line doubling. So I went back to using Y-R, B for my E20 and HD STB and > s-video for my other player.

Hmm, on my XBR setup (36XBR400) the DVD's progressive scan looks better than the Sony's. Probably because the Sony doesn't do reverse 3:2 pd and the JVC DVD player does. I'll bet the newer XBR's with Cinemotion (I think that's what they call it) would be better than the JVC player, though.

And, hob, thanks for the warm welcome.

- John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hob, I got a moded S500BK, too. It handles all regions, but Macrovision is still on. The company doesn't mention anything other than how to change regions.

I was hoping the MV could be disabled so I can make "party tapes'. (I take a scene or two from several DVDs and record them on a tape to show during parties.)

Do you know anywhere on the Net that tells how to get the JVC into "service mode" or otherwise shut off MV? Google comes up with nothing.

- John

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by johnhajinlian
I'll bet the newer XBR's with Cinemotion (I think that's what they call it) would be better than the JVC player, though.

Yes, mine has Cinemotion , Progressive, Interlaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.