AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on taking my Samsung LNS3251D back for a second time because it has very noticable false contouring in it. And has a problem with moving blotches on dark walls and stuff when I move around on my PS3. These blotches also blur really bad when I move. But I am planning on taking it back for the JVC LT32X667 (which actually was my first choice when trying to find the right TV, but I went away from it from a bluish tint that is kinda stuck on there it seems). But upon owning the Samsung and seeing all of it's flaws. I'm going back to my first instinct. But my question is. Considering that IMO the JVC picture seems to be as good or better than not only Samsung but also Sony and Toshiba and Sharp, which are the leading manufacturers. Why isn't JVC right up there with them in TV sales? Am I missing something? The JVCs seem to have just as good or better connectivity options than these companies too. And I have also noticed that JVC display much better detail than all other TVs but maybe the XBRs. So does anybody have any reasoning why JVCs aren't more highly reguarded in the LCD world? They seem like good TVs to me, At a very resonable price.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I don't believe backlight bleed is one of my problems. When I switch connections the black screen in evenly black. The only problem like that I have is that by the time the brightness is high enough to achieve good dark details, the left and right side of the screen are brighter than the rest. But only if the brightness is cranked up. But the blotches on the walls aren't backlight bleed, they are more like false contouring than anything I can tyhink of.

I really just want my JVC question answered however. I can't understand why they aren't a much more popular TV company.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
It sounds exactly like backlight leakage to me. Your discription is dead-on, unless you are talking about banding, which is rare in the Samsungs, but does happen. Either way take it back. There have been a couple reports in my thread of people getting the JVC's as replacements and they seem to be happy with them. I haven't seen any reports of banding, clouds or any other defects. I beleive that a JVC LCD just won a Consumer Digest award, but not 100% sure. They are an underated brand these days. They used to be junk to OK. They have really turned around. I think their tarnished reputation of being a copy-cat cheapo brand has really killed their sales.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First off thanks alot for the help, I am not positive that it isn't backlight bleed. But as I said it doesn't do it on a black screen. Only on certain dark walls and things like that on my PS3. And the blocthes actually appear to be darker than the rest of the wall which indictaes to me that it isn't bleeding, but like I said I'm not sure. All I know is my brother's Toshiba doesn't do it so the Samsung is going back. And being as how I already returned one I'm not giving them a 3rd try. I do like the TVs picture quality alot besides that when it's flaws aren't noticable.

As far as JVC that's exactly the kind of response I am looking for, thanks. I am just confused as to why they don't have a better reputation and want to find out why before I buy one of thier TVs. Any more info on why JVC isn't a more popular TVcompany considering they seem to make good TVs would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No one else has any opinions on why JVC isn't a more popular TV company? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I go spend the money on this company.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't know if this helps, but for what it's worth, JVC is well regarded in the motherland. I've been to Japan several times and most of the folks where I've stayed(people's houses) have JVC.

Of course they were all made in Japan, which does make a difference. In fact most of the electronics that I checked over there were hecho in Nippon. One must keep in mind that the US distributors of most of the Japanese brands are autonomous entities that use the leverage of the brand name to pass on the the third world junk. They all buy from the parent company, most of whom have complete lines cranked out just for the US market.

Unfortunately they are learning fast. Every time I go over I see more Chinese stuff.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS871 /forum/post/0

No one else has any opinions on why JVC isn't a more popular TV company? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I go spend the money on this company.

I think in the U.S. their problem has been mostly distribution-related. I'm not one to see conspiracy theories everywhere, but it probably didn't help that Panasonic's parent company owned a controlling interest in JVC. I understand that's now been, or is being sold to Kenwood, and this might make JVC TVs more readily available in the U.S. (or it might not).

Right now, JVC audio/video equipment is easily found, but the TVs are harder to unearth--especially the flat-panel TVs. The rear-projection stuff is in almost every one of the big-box stores I've entered, and in fairly good numbers. Not so the flat-panel stuff.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Major outlets like Ultimate Elecrtronics carries them, JVC's marketing however is non existent.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I agree, I think it's mostly JVC and crappy marketing out here. I bought the 40x667 model from best buy and am really happy with it. Look at consumer reports and they rate the JVC 32-46" lcd's very well, better than most brands. I was also choosing between samsung and jvc, and eventually went against popular opinion and obviously took the jvc. Realistic colors, good inputs (2 hdmi, 2 componet) and fair pricing. I'm sure you'll be happy if you choose the JVC t.v. as a replacement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes JVC makes great LCD and known in the US/Canada for great projection TV.

I bet if JVC concentrated marketing in Canada/US they would be rated 2nd in best TV behind Sony because of the optimizing technology they put into their TV's.

Im getting the JVC LT-40x887 on tuesday and ill tell you the quality i get. Also i was even lucky to get it for $999 at Future Shop and before i got in the shop 5 left, The time i ordered the TV there was one left and Future shop didnt even put the JVC on their website so it looks like they were trying to make it fair to get

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.