AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've purchased the cabinets for the wet bar and concession area. Instead of carpet or tile I plan on installing laminate flooring over the concrete in the basement. I've tested the area and there's no dampness, but I still plan on putting down a barriers.

So here's my question. Is it recommended that I place the cabinets on the concrete or install the laminate and then the cabinets? I've heard you can do both, but I'm interested in getting some other opinons on this.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
280 Posts
For a basement, I would definitely place the cabinets on either laminate or some other subfloor. Concrete does breath, and moister will be released. Over time, an wood making contact with the bare concrete will develop mold and potentially rot. This is why treated wood is always required for direct contact with concrete.

The advantage of using a subfloor under the cabinets would be that if you ever have to replace the laminate flooring, you would not need to remove the cabinets.

Tom

·
Registered
4,436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspielmann /forum/post/0

I've purchased the cabinets for the wet bar and concession area. Instead of carpet or tile I plan on installing laminate flooring over the concrete in the basement. I've tested the area and there's no dampness, but I still plan on putting down a barriers.

So here's my question. Is it recommended that I place the cabinets on the concrete or install the laminate and then the cabinets? I've heard you can do both, but I'm interested in getting some other opinons on this.

Thanks in advance!

Holmes on Homes on Disocovery Homes this weekend was Laminate gone bad in a basement. Per Mike Holmes, you NEVER EVER EVER put it down on a basement floor. The installers installed it incorrectly as they didn't leave gaps around the walls for it to breathe, but according to Holmes, you should never do this.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I went with a Dupont laminate. They instruct you to use 6mil plastic before putting it down. They recommend you put the laminate up to the cabinets so if there was a problem with water, you could pull up the laminate, let it dry and reinstall. Of course, having cabinets on it and something like granite makes it difficult to pull up. This is what I did. My basement was bone dry (four years now) so I put down the plastic, then the cabinets. Its been in since May, no problems at all. You do need a 1/4 gap all around the walls for expansion/contraction, but you can cover that with shoe and/or base molding.

Here's the Dupont information, including the instructions for install:
http://www.flooring.dupont.com/

Here's the stuff I put down:
http://www.flooring.dupont.com/en/design/FG8010_l.jpg

Bud

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments. I've done laminate floors before and know about the expansion / breathing gaps required. My basement floor is dry (did the moisture test) and was originally treated after the house was built. As Bud mentioned, I was advised to put down a 6mm barrier just in case.

I've watched Holmes quite a bit and although I do agree with most of his comments / work I don't agree with not putting laminate in the basement. The same type of moisture issues could happen with carpet.

I really appreciate the comments.

Jeremy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.