AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

If you are hanging a large screen tv (e.g. 75'') on a wall in a room with wainscoting, do you normally omit the wainscoting on the wall you plan to hang the TV? If we install wainscoting around the whole room, the tv would end up overlapping the wainscoting. I am not sure how well this would work out with the tv going over the chair rail and wainscoting panels. We plan to put a long tv console/bench underneath the TV. Does anyone have any photos/examples of this kind of situation?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty123  /t/1520130/question-about-large-screen-tv-in-room-with-wainscoting#post_24416638

If you are hanging a large screen tv (e.g. 75'') on a wall in a room with wainscoting, do you normally omit the wainscoting on the wall you plan to hang the TV? If we install wainscoting around the whole room, the tv would end up overlapping the wainscoting. I am not sure how well this would work out with the tv going over the chair rail and wainscoting panels. We plan to put a long tv console/bench underneath the TV. Does anyone have any photos/examples of this kind of situation?

As long as the mount doesn't have to live right at the wainscoting line, it would be fine. I actually think it would look very nice to have the wainscoting run behind the tv.

If you can't install the mount right above the wainscoting, I'd recommend cutting a piece shorter to accommodate the mount. I think it would look very nice.

·
Registered
306 Posts

Do you have pictures?  You can always frame in around the tv w/ the chair rail or molding that matches the wainscoting.  TVs of that size are usually 2-3 inches deep at the smallest.  So, having the wainscoting go around it and framed out might give it a small recessed look.

If you mount the TV over top of the wainscoting, you'll have to make sure that your bolts for your TV mount go through the wainscoting, drywall, and into the studs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The wainscoting is going to look like this:

Here is the TV bench which we were thinking of putting underneath the wall mounted TV: 

We are planning on purchasing a flat screen TV which will be around 75''. We also want to design the room so that the next house owner won't have a problem working with the room.

·
Registered
306 Posts

You could do either of these 2 type of setups:

·
Registered
306 Posts

You can do 2 things.  You can install the outlet and cable run below the bracket w/ something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042513&p_id=4006&seq=1&format=2

or you can do a powerbridge, which is essentially an outlet that just feeds another outlet (one that is behind your rack for your equipment).  Here's one:  http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10425&cs_id=1042513&p_id=4652&seq=1&format=2

I'm doing a power bridge installed about 12" below the bottom of my TV mount (still behind the TV).  That way I can have the TV on a surge protector with the rest of the equipment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The carpenter installed extra wood studs to support the mounting of the tv. We had loose metal studs before. We think that middle of the 65'' or 75'' tv will be around 42'' from the floor. We have not bought the TV nor mounting hinge (tilt or full motion) yet. Does the below look like it will work or will fillling in the area between the vertical wood studs cause problems later on?

I was planning on installing a in-wall outlet for the TV power supply (and center speaker?) right below the wood at 34.5 inch to the left of the two vertical wood studs (so that it would be directly on top of our electrical outlet which is 15.5'' from the floor. I was also thinking of installing an in-wall low voltage media cable outlet at 34.5 inch on the other side of the vertical wood stud (near the arrow marking 34.5 inches). Below that there will be another outlet for coaxial cable, ethernet and in-wall low voltage cables. Does this make sense?

The horizontal center of the tv will be exactly between the two vertical wood studs (near the arrows I drew).

·
Registered
306 Posts

It should be fine for support of the bracket...most TVs that size are around 100lbs max.

Did you consider getting a wall plate for coax and other right next to the lower outlet so that it is hidden by the furniture?  I'm assuming you'll need that for your components that will be stored in the furniture.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Should the low voltage media cable wall plate be recessed if it is in back of a flat panel tv or does that not really matter if you have a tilt mount or full motion (hinge mount)? I probably won't use a flat mount since I want to have easy access to the back of the tv.

Here is the low voltage wall plate (for media cables) which I was thinking of using in back of the tv. I will have to remove the mounting bracket which the electrician installed since this wall plate has wings which go in back of the dry wall (and does not require a mounting bracket). Note: my electrician said he has never used wallplates with a recessed design. He did not even know what they were. 

The power bridge will be similar to this: 

My electrician also had never heard of a power bridge. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
306 Posts

You should be fine if you're using a hinge mount.  However, I would still opt for the recessed panel behind the TV so you're not limited in options or if you tilt the tv substantially down (which puts the bottom of the TV closest to the wall).

It looks like a pretty good setup now.  Keep us updated with progress and photos.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts