AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

i have the oppurtunity to purchase an Pioner CLD-925 Player with 40 LDs for a very nice price. But until now, i'm asking me if that makes any sense since i'm using a fixed anamorphic lens in front of my projector. I know that Laserdiscs are "old-fashioned", but i would like to have such a player, to complete my "player rack"

The iScan HD+ does all the scaling, means vertical stretch, horizintal squeeze and so on. Although a lot of LDs have a "Widescreen" label on the cover, i'm afraid that cinemascope movies are only 4:3 letterboxed on the disc. If that would be so, i would have to add much more than just a vertical stretch of 33%, but rather of nearly 50% for full panel height.

Well, i'm sure that the HD+ can deal with this, but this wouldn't fit to the horizontal stretch factor of the anamorphic lens.

The best thing would be anamorphic LDs. But someone told me, that there are just a few of them.

Does anybody else watch Laserdisc movies on his anamorphic lens setup?

· Registered
505 Posts
Hi,

I enjoy watching laserdiscs still to this day but not on my FP system as they just don't compare to DVD in most cases even with a good processor, never mind Bluray or other HD. A CH setup will make this more obvious. If you want to see what a laserdisc will look like I would hook up a VHS and watch a letterboxed movie. A laserdisc will be better than the VHS but you will get the idea. They are very enjoyable on a smaller screen and most of them have excellent sound. Also that player is not the best and if the lot is around $100 I would think it would be a good deal still.

Anamophic LDs are very rare. 10 or so titles were released and they often are >$100 each

· Registered
5,171 Posts
I still own several hundred laserdiscs (I still own lotsa VHS too). Try as I might I just wasn't able to get them to look acceptable on my FP system. However they do look "acceptable" on my 50" Flatscreen. Where laserdiscs really shine is on my vintage 36" Sony XBR Tube TV. There they look Stunning and I will always keep this TV just for my laserdisc (and VHS) collection.

· Registered
12,276 Posts
I have to concur...I think that your problem is going to come into play with the quality of the image well before the aspect ratio. That being said, I have not tried one with a 2.35:1 setup but I would suspect it may be a problem unless the iScan HD can do custom aspects. You would need to both stretch the width as well as the height (imagine a native 16:9 panel with a 4:3 image on it...you don't fill the sides thus needing to stretch the width...then the height obviously needs to stretch as well). You probably could do some sort of combination of zooming (to fill the width) and then vertical stretch, but that might prove to be a pain more than anything.

Of course if anyone thinks of a point I missed jump on in...

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The HD+ can do custom aspects. It provides custom horizontal and vertical zooming, so that shouldn't be the problem.

I agree, that the image quality might be the real problem, and the proper aspect ratio as well, if someone like me wants to watch horizontally and vertically stretched laserdiscs with an anamorphic lens.

I don't expect the image quality to look as good as a DVD. But i would like to give a try, since i'm very interested in this old technology

I could get the player (in mint condition) including the discs for about 200$.

It's a real mess, that anamorphic LDs are so rare. Does these discs contain cinemascope movies at least?

· Registered
30,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widlarizer /forum/post/16854355

Although a lot of LDs have a "Widescreen" label on the cover, i'm afraid that cinemascope movies are only 4:3 letterboxed on the disc.

99.99% of "widescreen" laserdiscs are non-anamorphic letterbox. Only a small handful of discs (called "Squeeze LDs") were transferred with anamorphic enhancement. There were less than a dozen feature film titles in all, half of them exclusive to Japan.

http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru/squeeze.html

Your likelihood of running across any of these is slim to none. For all intents and purposes, you can consider all laserdiscs to be non-anamorphic.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/16856579

Your likelihood of running across any of these is slim to none. For all intents and purposes, you can consider all laserdiscs to be non-anamorphic.

Ok, somehow i was expecting that
So i have the option to forget this idea or to try it.

If it really looks so ugly on my screen (8.2 ft wide, 2.37:1), i will sell it again. Or just keep the player in my rack to have a piece of history among my remaining hardware

· Registered
6,310 Posts

Quote:
For all intents and purposes, you can consider all laserdiscs to be non-anamorphic.

Except for MGM 2.40:1 titles, many of which had a slight squeeze to project at ~2.20:1. Not true 1.33x anamorphic, but enough so that people look noticably skinny and circles become slightly egg shaped. I had roughly 30 or so of MGM LD's that were mastered this way.

A scaler supporting custom resolutions is the answer to this problem, and showing LD in general, but I would try to keep your screen size reasonably small and your seating distance at least 2x image width.

I still have a fairly large LD collection, none of which have yet been released on DVD....

MGM's "The Student Prince", is one of my favorite musicals and sadly is still MIA from DVD.

Vern

· Registered
5,171 Posts
The biggest problem for me w/ Laserdiscs is (was) quality control. Besides poorly placed side breaks and inferior prints - you have to deal w/ snits, tears, color dots, poor SNR, dropouts (caused by embedded dust particles), laser rot, etc. However newer pressed discs (mid-late 90's) were much improved in this respect. Regardless - I LOVE my Laserdiscs and would never get rid of them (defects and all
).

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, as i mentioned before, the iScan HD+ supports all of these zoom levels in both directions.

But even if i apply these zoom functions on the image to fill the entire panels of the projector...how will this match with the fixed horizontal stretch factor of the lens?

I can't imagine how this shall work, in spite of that i HOPE it will

I will try wo use my actual screen of 8.2' width. Maybe it won't look so bad...

Vern, nice to know about the MGM titles

But i don't believe that i will ever hold one of them in my hands.

Did some try to play around with MUSE LDs?

· Registered
30,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widlarizer /forum/post/16858004

Yes, as i mentioned before, the iScan HD+ supports all of these zoom levels in both directions.

But even if i apply these zoom functions on the image to fill the entire panels of the projector...how will this match with the fixed horizontal stretch factor of the lens?

I can't imgane how this shall work, in spite of that i HOPE it will

The iScan line supports CIH. Just tell the scaler that you have a 2.35:1 screen, tell it whether the disc is anamorphic (16:9) or non-anamorphic (4:3), and then tell it the aspect ratio of the movie. The scaler will do the rest.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, the scaler "knows" that i have a 2.35:1 screen and i know how to tell it the proper aspect ratio of the movie.

But i don't find the option to set if the disc is anamorphic or non-anamorphic...?

Would you please tell me where it is?

By the way: after setting the screen to 2.35:1 in the iScan menu, i think that i need to zoom the image a tad vertically, since i use a 2.37:1 screen. Otherwise i would have thin black bars above and below the image area.

· Registered
30,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widlarizer /forum/post/16863798

Yes, the scaler "knows" that i have a 2.35:1 screen and i know how to tell it the proper aspect ratio of the movie.

But i don't find the option to set if the disc is anamorphic or non-anamorphic...?

Would you please tell me where it is?

In the Input Aspect Ratio menu, there should be two options: Frame Aspect Ratio, and Active Aspect Ratio.

Frame Aspect Ratio is where you indicate 16:9 or 4:3 for anamorphic or non-anamorphic. Active Aspect Ratio is the movie's AR.

That's how it works on the VP50Pro, anyway. I'm pretty sure it's the same on the HD+.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Josh,

yes i remember that there are such options in the Aspect Ratio menu. I have to try it out this evening, since i'm really excited about this.

By the way: Did you have to add a little bit more vertical zoom after setting the screen to 2.35:1 for watching movies on blu-ray? I had to do so, because i noticed small horizontal black bars ob my 2.37:1 screen. The problem is, that circles aren't circles any more, but rather an oval.

I think that the image is simply vertically overstretched.

· Registered
30,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widlarizer /forum/post/16873527

By the way: Did you have to add a little bit more vertical zoom after setting the screen to 2.35:1 for watching movies on blu-ray? I had to do so, because i noticed small horizontal black bars ob my 2.37:1 screen. The problem is, that circles aren't circles any more, but rather an oval.

I think that the image is simply vertically overstretched.

Well, 2.37:1 and 2.35:1 are not the same aspect ratio as one another.

Because 2.35:1 is less wide than 2.37:1, a movie of that ratio should either have small pillarbox bars on the sides, or be cropped slightly on the top and bottom.

It's very possible that the disc you're watching was transferred at 2.40:1, which is slightly wider than 2.37:1, and would have small letterbox bars.

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Josh,

i still had no time to play around with the scaler, but after spending some time on your Laserdisc Forever website, i'm confident that the iScan HD+ may be a very good solution for watching LDs on a big screen.

Of course, i don't want to compare them with BDs or HD-DVDs, but i think AND hope, that i'll be satisfied with the results.

How expensive are MUSE LD players and MUSE LDs? Is it difficult to find them 2nd hand?

· Registered
505 Posts
I would forget about Muse aswell and just play around with the player you have. Muse players are $2k+ and movies are around $>200 each and you would also need a muse decoder. The picture quality is not as good as you would think and often less than DVD in resolution(especially with motion). Muse encoded discs often have major color and compression issues. I believe there were 100 or so movies released in all, many being very rare. Again I do not think it is worth going after unless you have alot of disposable income and have run out of other toys to collect.

· Registered
30,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by virusc /forum/post/16894085

I would forget about Muse aswell and just play around with the player you have. Muse players are $2k+ and movies are around $>200 each and you would also need a muse decoder. The picture quality is not as good as you would think and often less than DVD in resolution(especially with motion). Muse encoded discs often have major color and compression issues. I believe there were 100 or so movies released in all, many being very rare. Again I do not think it is worth going after unless you have alot of disposable income and have run out of other toys to collect.

I concur. MUSE discs are really just a curiosity for those with a lot of expendable income to waste.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.