AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm upgrading my receiver and once I realized the dimensions.. I realized at that moment that I needed to move the new receiver to a different position and do not need such a long Subwoofer cable anymore, I have a slack of about 15ft now.... or just under, and its going to sit there coiled up..... which I assume isn't very good. Should I just order a new shorter cable and return the old one?

Probably not a good idea to leave it coiled like that huh?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If its picking up hum can I just hear that? Is there a good way to test/tell?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh.. ok! Haha.. so when you say hum, you mean when its on without any sound coming out (like music or a movie) if I can hear a hum sound or any noise of any kind... then thats ... bad.. haha.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The hum could either be two things, the low frequency it's outputting or it's picking up

signals. If you have less than 6' to travel then generic LFE cables work, if more then get

the one with RF shielding or better quality. Shorter cables are better if the subwoofer is

near. Less to travel, less noise it MAY pick up. It's only $5 or less so whats the issue?

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFLEX /forum/post/12890735

I'm upgrading my receiver and once I realized the dimensions.. I realized at that moment that I needed to move the new receiver to a different position and do not need such a long Subwoofer cable anymore, I have a slack of about 15ft now.... or just under, and its going to sit there coiled up..... which I assume isn't very good. Should I just order a new shorter cable and return the old one?

Probably not a good idea to leave it coiled like that huh?

If you're worried about length I think the cable that runs from the projection booth at the Empire Leicester square from the dbx4800 where all the screen and sub bass amplification is housed is something like, 80 or 100 feet, now then.

I use really simple audio cable, I mean cheap, not nasty just cheap and I still get big bangs to sink a battle ship.

Try attaching a small piece of cable or wire from the various audio components in you're sound system, attach it to the (screw fittings) and see if that eliminates the elusive humming sound.

Or you can try this from Behringer MICROHD HD400, I plan to buy a few at a later date, you're not the only one with humming issues.

http://www.behringer.com/HD400/

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisl /forum/post/12891085

Any recommendations for a LFE cable? I'm looking for a 20' length and don't want to break the bank. Thx

Pretty much anything. You can just go get some RG6 and put F ends on it and then slap f to RCA adapters on each end. Or cheap RCA cables of sufficient length should be fine. The LFE run is really by far the least significant interconnect in a system.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisl /forum/post/12891085

Any recommendations for a LFE cable? I'm looking for a 20' length and don't want to break the bank. Thx

Monoprice.com

Click the link at the top of this page - I just got my two orders worth of cable from them and I am extremely impressed. You will not beat the quality / price. I wired an entire HT including HDMI and optical cable for less than one stinking Monster HDMI woud cost.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
Hell, I'll send you a cable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts