Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello--

This looks to be a nice, cost-effective solution compared to the Grafikeye, or even the Lutron spacer system. For those of you that installed this, though, I have a question about the firewall. The Lightolier materials and website make reference to a required firewall unit to "isolate the circuits from the rest of the house and to amplify and repeaat the signal for maximum communication." It says that this device is required for every circuit controlled by a PLC device. The pricing of a Compose system at Worthington Distributors is $230. The firewall, however, would add over $450 to the cost. Is this correct? Would I really need to have one of these firewalls if I'm going to have all of the switches housed in the same gangbox in the wall? I know that at least a couple of the members of this board said that they went with this system. Can you contact me to let me know exactly what your setup consists of? The $230 system is made up of a master control unit and three dimmers. What else would I need to order (faceplates, etc)? This would work perfectly for me, since I plan to have 3 zones, and the control unit allows for 5 scenes.

Thanks,

jj

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
JJ,

sent you a PM on this already.

Terry

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Chuchuf,

Could you please post your reply here, I would like to know also

Thanks

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I would have posted here in the first place but responded to the PM before I knew jj had started a thread.

Basically whay I said is that in out install of the CP products in a number of customers homes and theatres as well as my personal HT, I have not had to use any kind of a firewall to stop unwanted signals from getting to the system. Is this or will it always be the case?? I don't know. But in out installations, the switches and scene controllers work all the time and every time and never don't work the way they are supposed to.

We do change the house code from default and set up our own room codes if that has any bearing.

One of the things that sold me on tryung this product out on a customer (8 switches and 2 scene controllers in three rooms) was a story that Tom (tech support) told me when I was mulling over the different products out there. What he said was that they went to a demo from Lightolier of this family of products and that there was 3-4v of "noise" from an X-10 intercom on the power line. The switches works as they should.

I think Worthington urges the use of a firewall to insure there won't be a problem from outside sources. But again, we have not had any and the systems are used daily.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.