AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that in order to receive local off air HDTV signals on my HD set, I must have a receiver like Dish or DirectTV. I bought a HD Ready (with HD tuner) for this purpose. What good does this do me if I need another receiver to see my local stations in

HD?

Dan

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Best way, still, to receive off-the-air Digital?HD signals if with a good antenna. There are some digital receivers that receive OTA only and some that receive both OTA and Directv. So, seems to me, no matter what you bought, you can receive OTA.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If your TV set say HD Ready, then it does not include a HD tuner. HD ready means it has a regular OTA/Cable tuner. Now if it does say in the manual that is has a HD tuner built in, then you will not need a special cable or sat box to recieve OTA HD.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Dan,

If you indeed have a DTV tuner built into your HDTV set, you don't need another receiver for HDTV. But, most HDTV "Ready" sets are monitors that do not include a ATSC tuner, they only have NTSC tuner built in. In a year or two, most TVs will probably include tuners, but not yet. Are you sure you have a ATSC tuner built in?

Neil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a MIts Diamond 65909. It is not just ready, but is fully HDTV with ATSC tuner. Cost $4,500.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Then all you need is a good antenna. Go to Antenneweb.org and plug in your address to see what stations in your area are broadcasting digitally. It will also recommend the kind of outdoor antenna you need for your location and the stations you want to receive. And, remember, just because a station is broadcasting digitally doesn't mean it's broadcasting HD content. But, it MUST broadcast digital signals for HD to be broadcast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.