AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Long-time lurker on AVS, first time posting.

I'm in the very early stages of planning my home theater and have a question that probably doesn't have a simple yes/no answer but I wanted some opinions on it.

Are black levels on a good CRT (ie: G90) so good that masking is essentially a non-issue? Or at the very least are the black bars dark enough to not be much of a distraction given a good light-controlled room?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
I do CIW with my marquee 8500 Air coupled and I have no issues, its so black you do not see the screen on top or below the scope movie or on the sides when i watch 4:3 TV.

Athanasios

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
masking is absolutely required...

I find it funny when people ask such a subjective question...In my books, it's a must! In others, it's no big deal...why not judge for yourself?

Ben

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd say absolutely! No matter how black your blacks are, there's simply no way around the fact that the other colors are themselves light sources and will brighten the edges of a white screen (as well as the room).

I built myself a little adjustable 4-way masking system with cheap velveteen and a few 1x2 boards using a "roll up" method. With rods on the sides, I can mask to any ratio. When the image spills onto the edges it really looks 3D. Costs nothing and really makes the image sing. Couldn't go without it!

·
Registered
8,079 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 /forum/post/15489307

I do CIW with my marquee 8500 Air coupled and I have no issues, its so black you do not see the screen on top or below the scope movie or on the sides when i watch 4:3 TV.

Athanasios

Eh?

You are kidding me.

CRT projectors have TERRIBLE ANSI contrast.

They ABSOLUTELY need a masking system. I would take a 1031 with a masking system over a G90 without.

The grey bars are horribly distracting without a mask. The image POPS off the screen with a mask. Looks a million times better.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I don't have masking at the moment due to a change of screen but I plan on getting it back asap, good masking makes the image so much better in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts

Quote:
I do CIW with my marquee 8500 Air coupled and I have no issues,

I've been contemplating a CIW setup with masking, but I've hesitated as I feel I'm "missing something" about this concept - in my mind, this is the most logical way to deal with different ARs using a single CRT PJ, but yet, hardly anyone here seems to have gone this route (or doesn't post about their setup).

What am I missing here?

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I think you are mixing up CIW and CIH.

95% of us have CIW = a standard setup on a 16:9 screen.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Oh, well, I have a 16:9 screen with manual top and bottom masks driven by a curtain pull.

Top mask rolls onto a 25mm wooden dowel, bottom pulls up by strings wrapped around the dowel.

Simple, and it works.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I prefer the largest 235:1 screen...I usually crop the top and bottom off 1.85 stuff...and usually without issue. Again..try it for yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts