AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 identical speakers that are very good (2 main and 2 rear). I am looking for a center speaker (very possibly of a different brand) that will match them quite well and create a seamless sound field.

What are the specs that I should compare in order to determine that this center speaker -- on paper -- will match the ones I have?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
You can't do it by specs. Speakers with the same specs can sound completely different. Two speakers with exactly the same drivers can sound different because of the cabinet and cross-over.

They only way you can really find a match is to goto local stores and listen to different centers. Find some you think are close and bring them home to try.

If that isn't an option, look at the type of tweeter used (soft-dome, metal). Matching the type is important, but it won't mean they will sound the same.

What brand/type of speakers do you have?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kendrid
You can't do it by specs. Speakers with the same specs can sound completely different.

What brand/type of speakers do you have?
Acoustic Research 215PS. After reading what you wrote, I am now inclined to get the AR C225PS of the same series. The bottom line is that I want to be absolutely sure -- on paper -- that they all match. This way I will be (I hope).

By the way, I'm also looking for a subwoofer. Is it important that it be matched to the other speakers? Or will any subwoofer do? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Sticking to the same brand and series is the best thing you can do. Good choice.

Any sub will do. Specs start to matter when looking at subs, but still it is best to audition. Post a price range and you will get quite a few opinions.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Here's a more universal way about looking at it. All of the speakers in your system should have identical midrange and treble drivers. Of course, that's ideal. If that's not possible, the front three should be identical and the rears should be identical. If THAT is not possible, get them as close as possible within the same brand. If THAT is not possible (old speakers, nothing matches, brand out of business, etc) do this: Find speakers that are of approximately the same efficiency and use the same driver materials. Different silk dome tweeters are more likely to sound alike than a silk compared to aluminum. And match the driver sizes as much as possible as drivers of similar effiiciency, material and size will be doing similar things (usually). While crossovers and other factors can really alter things, this will get you in the ballpark. After you've narrowed it down based on similarity of design, all you can do is listen. Also, if your speakers are ported, do ported. If acoustic suspension, do acoustic suspension.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.