AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a pair of tower speakers, and I really like the sound of metallic cones on woofers. I was wondering if anyone has prior experience with any brands or specific drivers using Al/Mg etc... woofers. If you do, please leave any comments you may have regarding them! Thanks for any experiences/opinions.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The Dayton RS drivers are very good values in metal coned drivers; top of the line are probably the Seas Excel magnesium drivers.

Metal coned woofers/mids can sound very good but are usually the harder to design a XO for. They normally requirie low XO points, steep XO slopes and in many cases notch filters to tame break up modes. So metal coned drivers mey not be the best choice for someone without measurement equipment and good XO design experience.

If you want to build some speakers with metal cones, and don't have the ability to measure and design XOs there are a number of published designs that use metal cones and sound great. For example

www.zaphaudio.com
http://www.htguide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php4?f=39

Regards,

Dennis

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I have used several of the Dayton RS. OK in the 10 inch as you will cross it over low enough, but the 150's forced me to go down to about 1500 to keep the cone resonances from being a problem. 3rd or forth order crossover a must.

I just got a pair of the ZAPH drivers. I have not done distortion tests yet, but they seem promising.

Look on Linkwitz site and read all about the SEAS drivers. Probably the best out there.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamsh /forum/post/17048827

I am building a pair of tower speakers, and I really like the sound of metallic cones on woofers. I was wondering if anyone has prior experience with any brands or specific drivers using Al/Mg etc... woofers. If you do, please leave any comments you may have regarding them! Thanks for any experiences/opinions.

No sound differences will be found, especially with woofers.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by csamsh /forum/post/17048827

For LF, I don't mind them, but as Dennis says in post #2, there can be many more complications in design higher in frequency, especially for my own personal design preferences.

For LF drivers, I'd look hard at the AE AV series. Excellent motors and cones.
http://aespeakers.com/shop/catalog/i...337187742f600b

If I hadn't snaffled some other drivers locally, I would have bought some of the 15's recently myself. Plan is to upgrade to them over the next couple of years as funds allow. I already own 8 TD series drivers and am a bit of a fanboy.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLee /forum/post/17051675

No sound differences will be found, especially with woofers.

Beg to slightly differ Kyle. Maybe you should add the caviot (sp?) " For a well executed system".

If not, they can sound like garbage easier than paper. ( Heard Kapa's recently?) A quality metal driver well executed, yes the same or potentially lower distortion all things being equal. "picky, picky, picky". Thank you Pat Paulson.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses folks, I suppose instead of "woofers" i should have said "not tweeters." Anyway, I mostly agree with your points about similar sounds, but given how subjective sound is, I like metal cones better. I will check out the brands listed, thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.