AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I recall the actors mumbling a lot in Miami Vice. I suppose there was some muffled dialog as well. I ended up turning on subtitles so I could understand what they were saying. My best guess is that it was a director's creative choice.

Then again, a lot of the dialog was pretty bad so many that's why it was muffled

·
Registered
392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk5 /forum/post/12874838

I recall the actors mumbling a lot in Miami Vice. I suppose there was some muffled dialog as well. I ended up turning on subtitles so I could understand what they were saying. My best guess is that it was a director's creative choice.

Then again, a lot of the dialog was pretty bad so many that's why it was muffled

It seems to be the practice in many current Hollywood films to mumble. Someone must have read about Brando and the (incorrect) accusations that he did so.

So many of the current crop of performers are doing just that.

Except Daniel Day Lewis!!!! (See "There Will Be Blood")

·
Registered
883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSlow /forum/post/12874008

Did anyone notice the voices being somewhat muffled?

Or is it just me?

I noticed, especially near the beginning of the movie when they are in a disco. Muddy sounding.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've watched Miami Vice a few times in regular dvd...It was harder to understand the voices in HD somehow....or else I'm losing my mind(er hearing) but my wife noticed it too. When I asked her waht was said she couldn't grasp it either!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSlow /forum/post/12875551

I've watched Miami Vice a few times in regular dvd...It was harder to understand the voices in HD somehow....or else I'm losing my mind(er hearing) but my wife noticed it too. When I asked her waht was said she couldn't grasp it either!

I only watched the standard DVD, but it's one of the few American English movies I've watched where I also had to turn on subtitles at certain parts. Yeah, the dialogue is tough to understand at times.

·
Registered
12 Posts
maybe i am crazy, but when i watched it in HD, you get that low frequency sound on your subwoofer for a little while, then i decided to take it off and watch anotehr movie and the other movie sounded muffed, i eventually watched miami vice and same thing but w/e i also did the subtitles thing. so i returned the movie and a few day slater i watch the other movie i had popped in after the initial play, and the sound was just fine. MAYBE OUR RECEIVERS AND SUBWOOFERS ARE CRAP!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I recall watching this in the theater and i couldn't understand half the dialogs. I don't know what kind of "creative license" is this but at least make sure the audience is able to discern what is being said.

I have ordered this on HD from the Universal sale. I was hoping the dialog will be clearer in HD. I guess not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts