AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking about going with the mmg's but i listen to alot of diff kinds of music like rock rap blues pop r&b wondering how they will sound i dont have a dealer anywere near me also i hear that the speakers dont get very loud just would like some feed back on that too

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
They get plenty loud, but require a well made amplifier with generous current output ability. A capable subwoofer is also a must if you listen to a variety of music.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks i am getting a Adire Tumult for sub and i am leaning towards a ati outlaw or sherbourn amps wanting to stay around 1500 for the amp ati i think is in the lead right now

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Should make a good match.

When I was in the market for my first pair of speakers, I conducted a fairly well controlled single-blind test of half a dozen or so candidate speakers. The MMG's paired with even a modest sub was judged to my friends and I under blind conditions to outperform every other candidate in most areas, and be better overall by a decent margin. Needless to say we were shocked, as some of the competitors were several thousand a pair.

I still feel Magnepan speakers offer some of the best value in audio. They don't do everything right, but they do a whole lot of things right, and to get a speaker that does more right you have to step way up in cost, no matter what Maggie you are considering.

That being said, there are speakers that will produce ear-bleeding output levels... the MMG's won't. I never had anyone complain about lack of output when I was using MMG's, but if you like really loud rock music I'd definitely consider buying a new pair with the return policy option in case they don't quite have the raw SPL you desire. Matching a good sub (and a well designed DIY Tumult would certainly qualify) eliminates most of those problems.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree with Bigus. Many more dollars can be spent and still not achieve the sonic equal to Maggies. Most folks who bash them are spending what I consider to be "excessive" amounts of money on audio eqt. Mine play 100- 105dB with no difficulty whatsoever. Usually I must be conscious of the sub volume before I ever even begin to worry about stressing the Maggies. However, if you like ear-poppin', split-open-your-head volume, they are the wrong speaker.

H/K 525

MGIIA's (bigger, but older and less high end clarity than MMG's)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I own the MMG and absolutely love them. I am now a firm believer in Magnepan. I usually don't recommend them to my friends when they ask me for advice. Most of them just want it loud enough to keep up with their sub which is usually overpowering everything else. But if you do love clarity and the wide soundstage (if properly setup) then I suggest you try them out. Never have female vocals and high cymbals sounded so 'good'.

As for output level, I think it gets plenty loud for me. My theater room is about 28x15x9". How loud do you want to listen to your music or watch movies? How big is your room? Remember you will need a 4ohm capable amp to give it sufficient power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.