AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am downloading a movie but it is taking forever. So, I enabled the auto download so that the xbox can still download the movie while it is almost off. The download has been going for two days now. Is this too much for the xbox? And, if I turn off the xbox will it cancel the download and take my MS points? Thanks.

·
Registered
572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenniswack88 /forum/post/14333905

I am downloading a movie but it is taking forever. So, I enabled the auto download so that the xbox can still download the movie while it is almost off. The download has been going for two days now. Is this too much for the xbox? And, if I turn off the xbox will it cancel the download and take my MS points? Thanks.

The longest any movie has taken to download for me was a couple of hours and that was shortly after the marketplace was launched.

Once you selected the download option the points were removed from your account so it'll show the purchase and the points already having been deducted from your account and being as it's a movie they have usage restrictions assigned to them so I don't think you could just simply cancel and try to redownload w/o having to pay the points again.

I would personally contact xbox support at 1-800-4-MY-XBOX to make sure it gets sorted without any additional frustration.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Two days?

This the first time you've tried it, I gather?

I wouldn't be so quick to blame MS for the super-slow download; while a glitch on their end (like 100,000 folks trying to download the exact same movie at the exact same time) could be the cause, its more likely to be a bottleneck somewhere along the way (your ISP, a bad connection, your neighbor hogging up the neighborhood cable modem bandwidth...).

Have you had any similar problems with DLC or (big) game demos?

Who's your ISP and what is your level of service?

Cause I used to have cheapie 768KBPS DSL and even HD movies would come down in a few hours (started them when I went to bed, they'd be there in the morning).

How's the 360 connected? Wired or wireless? Follow the data-flow...

Do you have any other devices (PCs, etc) soaking up bandwidth at the same time?

Lots of ways to slow a movie download to a crawl but two days sounds a bit too much...

As for losing your DL if you power-off; no, the 360 uses a download manager that keeps track of the state of a DL very reliably. You can DL while playing games which often requires disconnecting from Live to reconnect again and it doesn't hurt the videos at all. So if you're really concerned, you can power off and restart later but it shouldn't be necessary; the 360 is running in a low power mode for background downloads and it shouldn't harm it.

(For comparison purposes, last week I got around to catching up with one of the TV shows from Live and I did ten HD episodes in three days--four per evening, each at 2GB apiece. They reported as being watchable in less than half an hour minutes and fully downloaded in less than one. Had no problem playing games while they came down. For three days I started downloads around 7PM and finished *watching* by midnight. One evening, I deleted each watched episode and queued-up a new one back-to-back-to back and I probably could've gone all night that way. Made me glad I switched to cable broadband at 1.3MBPS...)

·
Registered
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero the hero /forum/post/14335175

20mb cable baby - i can watch HD movies when they hit 1%, which is in about 3 minutes

awesome, how does this help the OP?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys. This is the first time I'm downloading a movie (Semi-Pro). But the most a demo has taken me to download was two hours max. I'm actually still downloading the movie.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenniswack88 /forum/post/14338592

Thanks for the help guys. This is the first time I'm downloading a movie (Semi-Pro). But the most a demo has taken me to download was two hours max. I'm actually still downloading the movie.

Your connection speed must really suck.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Do a speed test and report back.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Be sure to pause the movie download or turn off the 360 prior to the test. Also, make sure no one else in the house has an active internet connection. My teenager occasionally has to be reminded that P2P and Torrents are a "no-no" on my network.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/14336925

awesome, how does this help the OP?

Ok, I admit partly it was just bragging (I don't get to do that often), but in addition to note that it is possible to watch anything available pretty much instantly if your home connection is good enough.

I had the service when it first came out, and was only using a 768kb DSL connection at that time. Man was it awful that first weekend... over a day to download a movie for me as well. Things have improved considerably, although there may still be bottlenecks with more popular movies.

·
Registered
572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenniswack88 /forum/post/14338592

Ah, That's the problem right there -- the Xbox is trying to tell you the movie is not worth watching.

In all seriousness -- were you able to make any progress with this issue?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts