AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my Denon 2808 with a 4520. I am running a 5.1 speaker setup with 2 subs. I have watched several movies already and they sound really great, I can defiantly tell a difference from the 2808. The other night I put my Led Zeppelin Blue Ray concert DVD in and was disappointed. I haven't tried changing anything yet but it sounds harsher then when I had the 2808 going. The best I can explain is the front left and right speakers are overbearing, and I don't seem to have the low punch that I had before.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I just replaced my Denon 2808 with a 4520. I am running a 5.1 speaker setup with 2 subs. I have watched several movies already and they sound really great, I can defiantly tell a difference from the 2808. The other night I put my Led Zeppelin Blue Ray concert DVD in and was disappointed. I haven't tried changing anything yet but it sounds harsher then when I had the 2808 going. The best I can explain is the front left and right speakers are overbearing, and I don't seem to have the low punch that I had before.

Sorry, but I made the same mistake. I fought it for 2 years, and finally throwed in the towel. I switched from a good musical older AVR to the 4520.... And all the punch and wow factor just left the room... I tried everything everybody offered as advice... bottom line, that unit stinks for music ... Its a nice piece for movies. I sold mine on e- bay... good luck ... Below is a review that I wish I had found BEFORE I purchased the 4520...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...uIGYCQ&usg=AFQjCNFTA48fvBv_6TyatdA27gTCoqDPHw

Reactions: Elmo C

·
Registered
705 Posts
It took me two units to believe that beautiful avr mutilated music. I replaced it with a known musical avr, stunning difference.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It took me two units to believe that beautiful avr mutilated music. I replaced it with a known musical avr, stunning difference.

Yeah but this is a Concert DVD with 5 channel DTS, not stereo. If movies with 5 channel surround, sound great. I would think a 5 channel concert DVD would. I have some others that I haven't listened to yet, Eagles DTS, Fleetwood Mac Dolby Digital, and others. They all sounded very good on the 2808, near live concert volume levels. I can only go so far with volume on the 4520 before it gets real harsh and lacking the big punch.
Not that I listen to them at high levels all the time, but there are times I like to. It's almost like being at a live concert. Maybe there are some settings I can make for the music DVD's that will help.
My set up is 3 Def Tech UIW RCS II In-Ceiling speakers for left, right, and center. These are cabinet type in-ceiling speakers that are recess with the drivers angled towards the listening area. Not a typical in-ceiling speaker and sound as good if not better then my old Paradigm's. 2 Def Tech in-ceiling bi-polar surrounds, and 2 Def Tech Super cube 2000 subwoofers. Since the fronts are in-ceiling and angled toward the seating area. I am thinking I could use them as front height speakers and add a set of timber matching book shelves for the fronts, and add another set of in-ceiling bi-polar speakers for rear surrounds.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I tried most of my reference CD and DVD music, including hi rez. Harsh and lacking real punch/dynamics is a good description to me. With or without arc. It sure looked nice though, shame these companies are not putting units through their paces. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I tried most of my reference CD and DVD music, including hi rez. Harsh and lacking real punch/dynamics is a good description to me. With or without arc. It sure looked nice though, shame these companies are not putting units through their paces. Good luck with it.
Elmo..
What unit did you end up with? I was so disappointed in that Denon purchase. It was absolutely horrible on live concerts w/5.2. Horrible at stereo stuff also. I used to have people over and do video concert and drinks...you know, make an evening out of it...When I bought that thing it was the end of that!...Was embarrassing...Jeff Beck, Pink Floyd, Styx, ...whatever I tried, just sounded like it was coming out of a tin can. It would play louder than hell, but it was just noise. And I had M&K speakers and twin subs. At first, everybody told me there must be something wrong with it...So I sent it back and got another new one...Same thing. I bought a Amp (Outlaw 7500,,, 200watts x5). Helped a little but not much, so I got rid of Denon completely and went with a separate pre-

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yeah but this is a Concert DVD with 5 channel DTS, not stereo. If movies with 5 channel surround, sound great. I would think a 5 channel concert DVD would. I have some others that I haven't listened to yet, Eagles DTS, Fleetwood Mac Dolby Digital, and others. They all sounded very good on the 2808, near live concert volume levels. I can only go so far with volume on the 4520 before it gets real harsh and lacking the big punch.
Not that I listen to them at high levels all the time, but there are times I like to. It's almost like being at a live concert. Maybe there are some settings I can make for the music DVD's that will help.
My set up is 3 Def Tech UIW RCS II In-Ceiling speakers for left, right, and center. These are cabinet type in-ceiling speakers that are recess with the drivers angled towards the listening area. Not a typical in-ceiling speaker and sound as good if not better then my old Paradigm's. 2 Def Tech in-ceiling bi-polar surrounds, and 2 Def Tech Super cube 2000 subwoofers. Since the fronts are in-ceiling and angled toward the seating area. I am thinking I could use them as front height speakers and add a set of timber matching book shelves for the fronts, and add another set of in-ceiling bi-polar speakers for rear surrounds.

NSX

If you can still take his thing back...Do it. And sigh a big relief. LOL... Although its not funny.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NSX

If you can still take his thing back...Do it. And sigh a big relief. LOL... Although its not funny.

I purchased it from accessories4less about 2 weeks ago. Most of my use will be for movies, a few DVD concerts, and no music. One of the reasons I upgraded from my 2808 was 3D compatible, and dual monitor output. Also the specs looked really good with it being the last flagship model. So these are my main requirements. Any suggestions on a receiver or other that will fit my needs on a $800 budget?
Like I mentioned I don't watch a lot of DVD concerts, and no music, but when I do I like the realistic impact that I had before, and I also use them to demo my system to friends, guests, etc. Should I just keep it because most of my use is for movies?

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
Denon 4520 AV receiver

... Below is a review that I wish I had found BEFORE I purchased the 4520...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...uIGYCQ&usg=AFQjCNFTA48fvBv_6TyatdA27gTCoqDPHw
I don't know exactly the total percentage of weight that we can attribute to that review.

* This is a very popular Denon model AV receiver here among many AVS members. ...And the latest street price (around a thou) makes it very attractive for many gentle folks.
- There is always the Emotiva XMC-1 (with Dirac Live Full version), but @ twice the price and without amplification ... I don't know. ...Only a thought.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So what about a Marantz SR6007 for my needs or other? I listened to it again tonight and I am not happy with the audio performance on concert DVD's at all.
My needs are 2 HDMI out (Projector and LED TV), with 3D/4K pass through, I watch HDTV (Dish Network), Blue Ray's movies and concerts, no radio or other media.

·
Registered
387 Posts
So what about a Marantz SR6007 for my needs or other? I listened to it again tonight and I am not happy with the audio performance on concert DVD's at all.

I went from a Marantz SR 7500 to a Denon 4520.... Like you, I just was not going to accept it. My problem was I fought it for 2 years before I gave up. I hope you don't think it will ever get better, it won't. You may be able to fudge it with EQ and sub work, but it will never be what you had. On music,its bright, and wimpy. I now have a Marantz 8801 with a Outlaw 7500 5 channel amp. Big, Big difference. I have my thump back. What you will hear from the experts is Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company and share many components, which is true. Their theory is because of that they sound the same and its all in your head, or your settings.. Wrong. Wrong answer!They sure as heck don't sound the same. At least on the music side, they are not in the same zip code...I would think a SR 6007 would be great. Certainly it will be better than the 4520

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went from a Marantz SR 7500 to a Denon 4520.... Like you, I just was not going to accept it. My problem was I fought it for 2 years before I gave up. I hope you don't think it will ever get better, it won't. You may be able to fudge it with EQ and sub work, but it will never be what you had. On music,its bright, and wimpy. I now have a Marantz 8801 with a Outlaw 7500 5 channel amp. Big, Big difference. I have my thump back. What you will hear from the experts is Denon and Marantz are owned by the same company and share many components, which is true. Their theory is because of that they sound the same and its all in your head, or your settings.. Wrong. Wrong answer!They sure as heck don't sound the same. At least on the music side, they are not in the same zip code...I would think a SR 6007 would be great. Certainly it will be better than the 4520
Maybe I am asking for to much on my budget of around $800. I know the Denon 2808 was really great for both movies and concerts on DVD/Blue ray. Really the only reason I upgraded was for convenience.
I don't care about all of the new wireless tech, all the music sources such as Spotify, Airplay, etc. and all the other new tech.
All I really want is decent clean power, good surround processing, with room correction software, Dual HDMI output/3D-4K pass through, basic remote, and simple to use. I am going to look at the Marantz 6007 and others. It takes so much time for the research.
Any other suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hmm, I just purchased a refurbished 4520CI... starting to regret my decision. Can anyone else weigh in?

I'm going to test my stereo setup using a GFP-565 preamp+ Emotiva UPA-2 and comparing it with the 4520CI sometime next week when the latter arrives.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hmm, I just purchased a refurbished 4520CI... starting to regret my decision. Can anyone else weigh in?

I'm going to test my stereo setup using a GFP-565 preamp+ Emotiva UPA-2 and comparing it with the 4520CI sometime next week when the latter arrives.
Youra6, can you please post your results, I was just about to pull the trigger on a new 4520 from a4l but this thread has given me second thoughts. I'm currently using a 3802 which is a real beauty with music and HT via optical. Was also considering the x4100W.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Setup problems can make a difference. It's not like the 4520 was a low end model. There's likely a dedicated forum for it here. That would have been a good place to ask. Nohting wrong with the 8801 though obviously.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts