AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Samsung 56" DLP (HLN567W).

I also have a Comcast HDTV tuner (I think it's made my Motorola).

I started by connecting the Comcast box to the DLP using componant video (green, blue, red).

This is fine for watching HDTV channels, but when I switch to a non-HDTV channel, the TV screen goes blue and says, "Not Supported Mode."

So, in addition to the componant video, I have now added a second connection - just the basic coax connecting the cable box to the post on the back of the DLP. This solves the problem, but it's annoying because I have to switch AV modes on the TV every time I switch back and forth from HDTV channels to regular channels.

Why can't I watch both HDTV and regular TV through the same video connection? I used to be able to do this on my 32" Sony HDTV (4:3).

· Registered
16,406 Posts
The best PQ for non-HD/non-digital channels is how you have it set up currently - splitting the coax, to send one directly to the DLP (non-HD/non-digital generally looks worse through the Motorola box than through the coax). If you really want to watch SD channels through the Motorola box, then you need to go into the set-up menu of the Motorola (with the DLP on, turn on the Motorola box, then turn the power of the box off, then press the Menu button on the Motorola remote with the power still off), and make sure the 4:3 Override is set to OFF (TV type should be at 16:9, and YPbPr should be at 720p, the native resolution of your DLP). Then you will have the choice of how you want to watch SD (through the Antenna or Component input of the DLP).

· Registered
55 Posts
oscal74,

I just looked at the spec sheet for that tv and noticed the following about the component connections:

DVD Component Video Input: 1 Set (Y, Pb, Pr) 480i, 480P

HDTV/DTV Component Video Input: 2 (Y, Pb, Pr) 1080i, 720P, 480P

I assume that since you are able to see HDTV signals yo must be plugged into one of the two sets of HDTV/DTV component video inputs. As you can see those do not support 480i. Somewhere in the menu (it may be the "regular" menu not the service menu) should be a choice of how to treat SDTV signals. I imagine that it's currently set to output 480i. Change that to have it output 480p or 720p. You may want to experiment with the two to see which one gives you better video quality.

Brad

· Registered
16,406 Posts
I have the same DLP and the same Motorola cable box. Just change the cable box menu as I stated it above, and it will work fine (and make sure the cable box is plugged into Component 2 or 3 in back of the DLP). Do not change any settings in the DLP menu or service menu for this problem.

· Registered
32 Posts
I have the HL-P5685W...and when I set the Motorola/Comcast box to output 720p, the High Definition Channels don't work....they do, however, work with 1080i...but that results in my seeing the SD channels with some sort of permanent zoom on....

Any suggestions?

(using component connections)

· Registered
615 Posts
Matty, do you also have your Comcast box set to 16:9 and 4:3 override=OFF? If so, and you don't have your Comcast component cables accidentally plugged into COMP1, something IS wrong. Which Mot box do you have?

Ken

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BillP
The best PQ for non-HD/non-digital channels is how you have it set up currently - splitting the coax, to send one directly to the DLP (non-HD/non-digital generally looks worse through the Motorola box than through the coax). If you really want to watch SD channels through the Motorola box, then you need to go into the set-up menu of the Motorola (with the DLP on, turn on the Motorola box, then turn the power of the box off, then press the Menu button on the Motorola remote with the power still off), and make sure the 4:3 Override is set to OFF (TV type should be at 16:9, and YPbPr should be at 720p, the native resolution of your DLP). Then you will have the choice of how you want to watch SD (through the Antenna or Component input of the DLP).
Bill,

You said that the best way to watch SD channels is to bypass the Motorola box. How is that possible? Even the coax has to route through the box, no?

At any rate, I will try your fix when I get home this evening.

David

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BillP
What about using the DVI connection? Will I get both SD and HDTV through that input?

That really brings me to a larger question. With only one DVI input and two DVI devices (HDTV cable box and Sammy HD841 DVD player), which should go through DVI? My hunch says the HDTV cable box since I watch 95% TV and only about 5% DVD. However, is the upscaling magic of the HD841 lost if you don't route the signal through DVI? If so, I shouldn't have wasted my money on that particular DVD player.

· Registered
16,406 Posts
Oscal,

What I suggested was to add a splitter to the coax coming out of the wall, so you can send one coax to the cable box (and connect the cable box to the DLP using component cables) for digital and HD channels, and the other coax directly into the antenna input in the DLP (totally bypassing the cable box) for analog SD channels. I found that improved the PQ for analog SD viewing significantly.

I would recommend using the DVI input of the DLP for your upscaling DVD player. It will give you more bang for the buck that way, with a significant difference in PQ versus component cables when watching DVDs. You really won't see as much of a diference between component and DVI cables with the cable box. Alternatively, you can buy a DVI switcher and connect both via DVI.

· Registered
55 Posts
Oscal,

Have you gotten your tv working for SD signals yet? By the way, in my earlier post when I mentioned looking in the menus I was referring to the menus in the cable box not the television. BillP is correct in that you will get better picture on the SD channels by just viewing the straight analog connection to the tv. However, I agree with you about how that could be a pain. If you implement the "fix" I described earlier you could surf through both analog and digital channels without having to switch modes. Then once you find a program you want to watch you could switch over to the coax connection if you find quality is significantly better (which I think you will).

I think that you should use the DVI input on the DLP for your cable box rather than the DVD player. I say this for several reasons:

1) The digital to analog converter in the cable box is probably not as good as the one in your upconverting DVD player.

2) The cable box is the only source that will have true HD source material and so you should take better "care" of that signal by giving it the all digital path.

3) You said you watch DVD only 5% of the time so it seems that you should use the better connection for the component you watch the most.

Brad

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bgriffis,

Thanks again for the clarification. I will attempt this remedy as soon as my DLP gets repaires...

That's right, after just 8 weeks, it has gone on the fritz. Repair man came today, took one look at it, then called Samsung. They said to replace the light engine ($1400 part). Sounds like they don't know what the problem is so it's easier to just rip out the guts and start over. I am very nervous about all this. I just spent $3100 on this TV and it already needs new insides.

The symptom is that when you turn it on, the screen appears black with scattered white dots and several horizontal white stripes. You can hear sound, just no picture. Repair man comes on Thursday to replace light engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.