AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will there be some drop-off in sound quality with all center channel speakers when you sit off-axis? Do omnidirectional (I think that is the right term - -like speakers by Mirage) speakers avoid this problem? If so, shouldn't everyone be interested in omnidirectionl speakers unless they are always sitting in the sweet spot? Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think the idea of using a center channel speaker that serves off-centerline viewers well makes a lot of sense. Now I'm not convinced that an omni is necessarily the best way to do it, but in my opinion it's better than the ubiquitous sideways MTM when it comes to radiation pattern uniformity across the viewing area. The drawback of an omni would be the increased reverberant energy in the room, which can be beneficial on two-channel music playback but is often detrimental to dialogue clarity.

Some of the better horizontal center channel designs use a tweeter and small midrange in a vertical stack, between two woofers. With a fairly low crossover point between woofers and mid, this can give good coverage across a broad horizontal arc along with good dynamic capability.

In my opinion an ideal center channel would provide uniform coverage across the viewing area, with the response falling off rapidly to either side of the viewing area, so how wide the pattern should be depends on the room layout.

Duke

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.