AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CRT rear projection, it can accept a progressive signal, but it will display it at it's native res of 1080i. My question is this, what benefit would a dvd player with DCDi processing be to me? I am looking at picking up the Oppo 981 and wondering would I be getting my money's worth. I know the upconversion to 1080 won't do me any good, but I wonder how good the player is at sorting out artifacts like moire and other distractions.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
If I understand you correctly, the CRT will not accept resolutions higher than 480p, correct? I use a direct-view CRT with a DVI-HDCP input that definitely benefits from the OPPO/Faroudja scaling to 1080i - I would expect similar for your CRT rear projector if it will accept 1080i resolutions via DVI or HDMI input (the 971H and 981HD both require one of those inputs, as the 971H's component output is limited to 480i and the 981HD lacks a component output entirely).

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My set will accept, 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. My current Toshiba dvd player actually looks better outputtign 480p to the set. Less picture noise and better color. I get artifacts like Moire with my Toshiba and I am looking for a more stable, believable picture.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
If your set has DVI-HDCP or HDMI input, I'd certainly recommend giving the 981HD a try. I've had great luck with that player and my CRT HDTV (see my 981HD review if you are interested in what I've found with the 981HD, or this review for my experience with the 971H before that).

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My set does have a HDMI input and I'm definately leaning toward the Oppo over any other. I'll take a look at your reviews. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.