AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hdtv, and a panasonic home system. I have the optical cable coming from the panasonic to the ps3 and I get surround sound for my games and movies. I watched Alexander blu ray and I got the full surround sound treatment. I have the settings on bitrate. I just bought True blood season 2 blue ray and when I played it , I had error reading on my panasonic. I went to audio settings and took off dts although my panasonic plays dts 5.1. I replayed true blood and it works but I'm not getting true surround sound. I have a regular home system 5.1 speakers, 5 speakers and a woofer. Now when I looked at the options in true blood audio , for audio it reads English DT- HD master audio 5.1. Am I doing anything wrong or is it just that my panasonic home system isn't equipped to play all blu rays? I know there was an update for the ps3 for DTS-HD audio.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It sounds like your receiver can not decode the DTS-HD Master Audio signal, hence why it gives you the error message. You are better off setting your PS3 to output LPCM to your receiver since the PS3 will then do all the audio decoding and send the individual channel information to your receiver which will just pass them off to the proper speakers. The downside is that you won't see the lights on your receiver come on saying "DTS" or "DD", etc.

Take a look at the Bitstream vs. LPCM thread on the forums. GREAT information in there.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Only problem with having the ps3 send already decoded lpcm to the panasonic via optical cable is that you will only get two channel stereo. The optical cable doesn't have the capability of transferring all 5.1 lpcm channels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts