AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm experimenting with turning my PC into a HTPC. I have a P4 3.2 ghz processor, 512 mb ram, ATI AIW 9600, and the Abit AI7 motherboard. This has onboard sound, with the RealTek ALC658 chipset. Its has a optical in and out port.

When I hook this up to my Pioneer elite(forgot the model number) receiver with the optical out, I only hear the front left/right channels when I do a speaker test on the PC using the software supplied with the sound card. If I put in the Avia DVD and play it with zoom player, I get left, right, center, and a single back channel. The receiver plays the signal, but it does not show what kind of signal it is on the display.

How can I get 5 channel sound for games like doom3 and for my DVD's?

·
Registered
785 Posts
What audio decoder are you using in zoomplayer?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Reclock is not an audio decoder. You're looking under "audio renderer".

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
There are lots of variables in the sound setup on an average HTPC. I have an Abit IS7 MB, so I doubt they very much.

It comes down to "what component is decoding/interpreting" the audio signal. If your audio software is configured on your HTPC to use SPDIF or DirectOut (with DirectX sound configured to use SPDIF) then your receiver will be expected to decode the audio bitstream and you need to hook up your speakers to it.

If you expect your HTPC to decode the audio, then you'll need some software and/or a filter to decode the DD or DTS, etc. audio bitstream and then you must hookup your speakers to the sound card (No one with a good reciever would want to do this). If your reciever has preout input for the 6/8 channels (my h/k 630 does) then you could hook up the sound card outputs to the receiver preouts and have it control applification to the speakers.

There are other factors that will affect your output in the second case above, but I don't have time to elaborate on those points.

Most folks who have their HTPC hooked up to their external sound system will use option 1 above - I do.

Lastly, based upon your information, it sounds as if you've configured your htpc to output only analog and not digital. You want both enabled over directout/spdif.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using the ATI OEM powerDVD audio decoder. When I configure it in zoom player, I can change the output from 2 speakers to spdif out, but once I start playing a movie it reverts back to 2 channel audio.

Anyone know what the problem is?

Do I need a better audio decoder?

Can anyone recommend DVD software decoder that can do DTS & DD?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
You need to configure the audio in Windows to get it all to work right. If I remember correctly, in the systray, right click the soundman icon and somewhere in the properties you can set the default output port and type and input for that matter as well - lots of options.

When you find it, select digital & analog out to spdif. Then in all players, simply set them to directout and you're set.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.